turbo cider/raspberry.. first attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my next TC will be around the 5% mark which will be 75/25% aj/water

i agree with roddy here.. i used no sugar at all and still ended up with 6% rocket fuel, i would prefer 4.5% - 5% at the most tbh as i like to drink a good volume but dont want to pickle myself :lol:

if i made this again i would use 20litres of juice instead of 23 and top the rest up with water to drop the abv

i agree with roddy here.. i used no sugar at all and still ended up with 6% rocket fuel, i would prefer 4.5% - 5% at the most tbh as i like a drink but dont want to pickle myself [emoji38]

if i made this again i would use 20litres of juice instead of 23 and top the rest up with water and drop the abv
I'll keep quiet now, on the 8% cherry cider tonight... oops

(watching snatch..again too hehe)

That looks really nice!

given the missus is used to around 4-5% it looks like my 3L apple juice and 1L water and mug o tea will be about right from what you guys.have said.

Gonna see if my local tesco can order in some lowicz.

That looks really nice!

given the missus is used to around 4-5% it looks like my 3L apple juice and 1L water and mug o tea will be about right from what you guys.have said.

Gonna see if my local tesco can order in some lowicz.

go for it , .. itl cost you about 4 quid to try it, so there nothing to loose!

you can always clean your alloy wheels with it if she dont like it! :lol:

yeah I'll go and see if the local brewshop has cider yeast and if so get it started, if not maybe wilko do it, then I've got time to find some raspberry lowicz syrop

Just a thought...

Lidl has the Lowicz in store at the minute in various flavours. I bought strawberry and raspberry on Sunday. 99p a bottle.

Thanks Tucker, I'll give them a try too.

Got the apple juice and just going to look for cider yeast and hopefully I can start a batch later :thumb:

Just telephoned lidl head office and they say that my local don't stock lowicz, so I tried tesco and got some reserved to collect tomorrow.

I managed to get some cider yeast so the game is afoot,

I would like around 5% which if left to finish @ 0.990 would need an OG of approx 1.026, the OG of this is 1.032 so with a little more water added once primary fermentation is over I should hopefully be in the ballpark

My batch only fermented too 1.004, so iam not sure how much you can accurately gauge it.. unless the stevia sweetner I added alterd the reading.. to be honest ive no idea as iam a novice at this but I dont think I would water it down completly relying on it reaching bone dry.. Plus I guess you could water it down after fermention is finished if its too strong.??

Edit: sorry i misread your post on my phone... your doing exactly what i said in the reply.. sorry :doh:

I am doing a cider from a kit at the minute and I am going to try a small batch from apple juice using a 5 litre water bottle. Just a few things... What does the stewed tea do?

Thinking of using 4 iitres apple juice, cider yeast with sweetener included, cup of tea and then prime with the raspberry syrup.

Does that sound like it will be a sweetish fruity cider for the other half?

How far should you fill a 5 litre water tub from the top. Presume it needs some room?

Just telephoned lidl head office and they say that my local don't stock lowicz, so I tried tesco and got some reserved to collect tomorrow.

I managed to get some cider yeast so the game is afoot,

I would like around 5% which if left to finish @ 0.990 would need an OG of approx 1.026, the OG of this is 1.032 so with a little more water added once primary fermentation is over I should hopefully be in the ballpark

What kind of yeast is it cheap ?

I used youngs cider yeast and it stopped at 1.000

yes, youngs cider yeast :thumb:

if it is gonna stop at 1.000 it'll be around 4.35% so maybe I'll top up with apple juice then
mind that the priming syrup/sugar will add a reasanable bit of abv too... depending on how fizzy you make it, could be up to 0.8% 😃

I picked up some Lowicz raspberry syrup today, on offer at tesco for £1 per bottle reduced from £1.29 which was a bonus, offer ends 3rd Jan 2016

It has 84g sugar per 100ml
so that is 0 .84g sugar per ml

If I use a teaspoon approx 5ml then it will add 5x 0.84 = 4.2g of sugar so it shouldn't increase the alcohol % by too much, if my math is correct it's approx one 20th of 1%

How much are folks adding to theirs?

Yeh that's should be fine

If it's a Demi just batch prime with 60ml gives you bout 6g per bottle good amount of fizz adds like Roddy said about 1% and less faffing about trying to prime each bottle [emoji106]

Ps : where did you find it on special ?

Yeh that's should be fine

If it's a Demi just batch prime with 60ml gives you bout 6g per bottle good amount of fizz adds like Roddy said about 1% and less faffing about trying to prime each bottle [emoji106]

Ps : where did you find it on special ?

tesco.

so 60ml per dj, cheers Mrc

Back