Brew night: Prosecco

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it should really be made using white grape juice as prosecco is a sparkling white wine, Italy's version of champagne.

Roddy, Looch, are you stopping around 1.000 and adding sugar when bottling to get fizz? or is it fermented to finish and a still wine?
neither haha

gonna let is ferment out (exp 0.990) and prime with some sugar solution 😃

Cheers Roddy, but if its 990 and finished wont adding sugar just sweeten it? or as its not stabilised will it just start again and ferment the sugar off to produce a little co2 for fizz but not enough to blow bottles?

I guess it should really be made using white grape juice as prosecco is a sparkling white wine, Italy's version of champagne.

Roddy, Looch, are you stopping around 1.000 and adding sugar when bottling to get fizz? or is it fermented to finish and a still wine?

Hiya Cheapbrew - Mine was around .998 - 1.000 when I decided to clear it. It had started clearing naturally, but I added some finings as I was in a rush! I've bottled mine & added Coopers carbonation drops. I've never used sugar to prime - I will give it a go though.

What are you doing?

Cheers Roddy, but if its 990 and finished wont adding sugar just sweeten it? or as its not stabilised will it just start again and ferment the sugar off to produce a little co2 for fizz but not enough to blow bottles?
the latter I hope !

(should be the same process I use for cider, which works fine) 😃

Cheers Roddy,

Thanks for replying too Looch :thumb:
I know its less than two weeks since you bottled but have you tried any of yours yet?

If I can find some WGJ I will probably use that and apple juice and a sparkling wine yeast.

not yet, measured it last night tho actually and it's down to 1.010 so probably rack it next weekend ish..

what stage is yours at ?

Mine's all bottled. I've probably done it too soon (that patience / female thing!) but I wanted to try & get them ready so I could open a bottle or three for Christmas. Here's hoping!

What's your next brew then?

Cheers Roddy,

Thanks for replying too Looch :thumb:
I know its less than two weeks since you bottled but have you tried any of yours yet?

If I can find some WGJ I will probably use that and apple juice and a sparkling wine yeast.

No - haven't tried mine yet - I'm trying to wait for another few weeks to allow the carbonation to maximise.

Any pictures of the final product? How did the colour turn out, did it go clear or pink? Mines looks like pink mud in the DJ, despite using Kwik Clear finings and sitting for months... <sigh> I blame the cloudy apple juice :nono:

Think mine is going down the pan soon. It probably tastes fine but sure is on 'orrible colour :sick:

pinkmudfinal.jpg

I was kind of turbo cider coloured and pretty cloudy when I racked and bottled it... it's not like me not to take pictures haha

I'm banking on the clearing process happening in bottle when it's carbing up, a bit like cider... so I didn't put any finings in it either

It didn't taste anything special at the moment (although not horrible either 😀) but assuming all goes to plan, a strong fizzy clear wine is what I'm aiming for.... 13.7% abv if my calculations are correct

carbed up nicely, but looks like it's gonna take ages to clear....

I just needed the warmth for the carbing bit right ? ie I can put them away in my cooler 'cellar' (cupboard under the stairs) now ??

carbed up nicely, but looks like it's gonna take ages to clear....

I just needed the warmth for the carbing bit right ? ie I can put them away in my cooler 'cellar' (cupboard under the stairs) now ??

Upload a picture, Roddy!

Mine is crystal clear but I don't think it's going to be very fizzy.

M8,
How long is average to clear?
It's been only a few day lol.
ATB
Bri
patience isn't one of my strong points Bri..... it's getting there though, maybe another week or so to clear completely....

had a cheeky taste of one last night, tastes pretty good, AND proseccoish !!

Roddy said:
patience isn't one of my strong points Bri..... it's getting there though, maybe another week or so to clear completely....

had a cheeky taste of one last night, tastes pretty good, AND proseccoish !!

And you reckon you're gonna wait another week or so!

Hi Looch

It's plenty carbed, but still not quite clear, some loose stuff still floating about.. kind of misty if that makes sense...

I didn't put finings in unlike you, hoped it would clear like TC does

Meh... mine's as flat as water. Not sure what I'm doing wrong... The taste is nice enough, but it's the fizz that makes it! I'll have to google it.

I'm going to do my first TC using cartons of apple juice tonight. I'm trying to find that Lowitz (if I've spelt it right) but I'm struggling. I'm just going to look up your recipe in a sec!

Latest posts

Back