My first brew - Youngs APA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00bygrees

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a starter kit and Youngs APA kit - this is my first attempt so I just wanted to run you through what has happened so far along with a couple of queries.

I set it all up as per instructions on the 7th Jan - the S.G. was 1.050.

Since then it's been in a water bath set at 21degrees - the airlock hasn't bubbled at all, however, but I'm assuming that perhaps I just have a leak and this is nothing to worry about...?
A slight foam (krausen is it called?) was apparent on top, but it didn't threaten to bubble through the airlock at any point.

Today (a week later - 14th Jan) I opened it up to check on the S.G. to make sure something was happening! I got a reading of 1.010, so it looks like something definitely has been happening!
The foam has dispersed, and upon tasting I was expecting a foul beer but it wasn't that bad at all, really.

The instructions say that it will take about 15 days to fully ferment, and the guide final S.G. is 1.008.
I'm quite surprised it's gotten down to 1.010 so quickly, but I have no experience so maybe this is normal?

My plans are to leave it for the 15 days regardless - perhaps I'll check the S.G. on day 13 and then day 15 to see if they are the same?
I'll also have to consider when to add my hops as well!

There's my story so far, anyway - I'd be very grateful for any comments on it :)

Thanks!

When you have them fermenting in a water bath they finish very quickly I find. But I still leave it in primary for 2weeks as it gives the yeast time to settle before bottling.

This was the first kit I made too.
I didn't have a water bath but the temperature was close to yours.
I had read that the Young's kit would take three weeks so I left it that long.
It was worth it. This kit got me hooked on home brewing although the beer didn't last long once it was near ready.

I added the hops once the SG had levelled out. My only addition would have been to put the hops in a muslin bag rather than have them floating about as I lost some beer due to it being sludge in the bottom of the barrel.

Thanks all - I think my plans will be to hop it on day 12 - I'll take an S.G. reading and then check it again on day 15 and assuming the same S.G. will get it in the pressure barrel.
I've got a hop bag at the ready after reading the same advice, so will remove that at that point. Is 3 days enough for the hopping?

Also, as a follow up to my airlock bubbling - I saw someone recommended putting a small weight on top of the lid, which I did, and now the airlock has a cluster of bubbles approx every 75seconds.

Thanks all - I think my plans will be to hop it on day 12 - I'll take an S.G. reading and then check it again on day 15 and assuming the same S.G. will get it in the pressure barrel.
I've got a hop bag at the ready after reading the same advice, so will remove that at that point. Is 3 days enough for the hopping?

Also, as a follow up to my airlock bubbling - I saw someone recommended putting a small weight on top of the lid, which I did, and now the airlock has a cluster of bubbles approx every 75seconds.

I have done this kit too, and it is good, I think it is an equal of the Youngs AIPA but different.
Anyway looks like things are going in the right direction as far as the primary is concerned, and you have kept the lid on which is good.
If it were me I would give it at least another 4-5 days in the FV and then check your SG again, it might have dropped a bit more. Your airlock is still showing some signs of fermentation, so it hasn't completely stopped. If the SG is the same or hasn't dropped very much I would then dry hop. I usually dry hop for five days, and, like Clydebrewer, use a muslin bag, which I weigh down with sanitised stainless steel spoons, although others don't bother with weights. If you too decide to use a bag then get one about 250mm square or so if you can, since that give the hop particles better chance to disperse and give up their flavour and aroma (rather than if you had used a smaller bag). And I boil my bag and cool to sanitise it before a put the hops in and boil it after use and air dry to make sure its fresh when I want it again.
And if your total time from primary start to bottling takes longer than the 15 days Youngs quote the chances are that the finished product will be better for it.

Update - day 12 and the S.G. is at 1.007.
Bubbles seem to have pretty much stopped - I'll occasionally notice a burst if I'm nearby for a period of time, but it must be over 5 minutes between each one - probably longer.

Boiled a nylon food bag for 5 mins, put the hops in it (smelt amazing!) and chucked it into the FV.

My thoughts are to bottle it on Sunday (day 17) assuming the S.G. is the same. Should I take an S.G. reading two days before that on day 15 to compare or not bother?

Planning on buying this kit for my next round of brewing along with a few others. Keep us posted as to how it turns out. Seems like it's behaving itself so far :)

Day 17 and it's kegged! :D

Tested the S.G. and it was 1.007 again so went ahead - gives me an ABV of a touch over 5.6% so the same as the kit suggests it should be!

2 weeks in a warm place before cold crashing it - so should be around this time in 4 weeks when I can start enjoying it! Although may have to have a cheeky taste a bit sooner than that...

I'm not messing around, either - my next brew (Coopers Stout) is already underway! :thumb:

Update:

So I found out last Thursday (04/02) that I had a leaky keg. I've since sorted that, and I added a further 90g of sugar to re-prime. Took a quick sample (tasted pretty good!) last night and the beer appeared to be well carbonated.

My question is when should I cold crash it. I was originally leaving it for 2 weeks after the first prime...should I leave it for the same again after my re-prime or will, say, a week be enough?

Thanks

My question is when should I cold crash it. I was originally leaving it for 2 weeks after the first prime...should I leave it for the same again after my re-prime or will, say, a week be enough?
Thanks
If its carbonated enough you may as well put it in a cold place. That's what I would do anyway.
I have had beer fully carbonate in less than a week for no obvious reason (I use PET bottles so can monitor), and then been able to condition in the cool, and this in the knowledge that the primary had definitely finished.

If its carbonated enough you may as well put it in a cold place. That's what I would do anyway.
I have had beer fully carbonate in less than a week for no obvious reason (I use PET bottles so can monitor), and then been able to condition in the cool, and this in the knowledge that the primary had definitely finished.

Great - thank you. I'll double check it tomorrow then get it in the cold if all is well.

To update this - the carbonation didn't turn out to what it should have been. However, there is still some present and it's turned into a fantastic pint so I'm over the moon!

IMG_4457.jpg

To update this - the carbonation didn't turn out to what it should have been. However, there is still some present and it's turned into a fantastic pint so I'm over the moon!
Looks good.
I found that this is best drunk from about a month on, which is about where you are now, but after about three months the effect of the dry hop starts to wear off. So time to get stuck in perhaps???

Looks good.
I found that this is best drunk from about a month on, which is about where you are now, but after about three months the effect of the dry hop starts to wear off. So time to get stuck in perhaps???

I'm already somewhat stuck in :oops:
Probably about a quarter left - I've found it to be excellent from the first pint so it's been going quickly. Certainly won't be around at 3 months!

I'm looking at ordering an all grain setup now...it hasn't taken me long! :lol:

Back