Festival Razorback IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheazy_joe

Landlord.
Reaction score
Picked one of these up today as an alternative to my usual Youngs AIPA; couple of questions for those that have done it before:

1. It comes with only 10g of yeast (the youngs has 20g I think), anyone had issues with this or swapped it out? I have some S-05 so no worries if I need to swap.

2. Target final gravity of 1.005, I've never had a beer go this low, is it realistic, especially given only 10g of yeast?

Having opened the box I've noticed that, when compared with the Youngs AIPA, it comes with less hops also (75g against 100g) yet costs more (24.99 against 22.99) so will be very interested to see why that is!

I put a razorback in FV on the 22nd
Looking good with std yeast dry hoped for 3 days then transferred 2 secondary
Can't wait to bottle, tastes great already
It's still bubbling a little

pitched at 15.30. did anyone else get a higher than expected reading?ok I brewed to about 21.5l but weren't expecting 1.062!

mind you its tough to guesstimate litres when your FV doesn't have markings. come on biggerjugs sort it out!
I just made sure I gave the beer about three inches of head space

My OG was only 1.046 but I realised later when I calibrated my FV this was slightly over 23l. Fermentation took 16 days with a final gravity of 1.004.

From what I remember it started fairly quickly and was quite active for a while. Lovely pint too, only got 2 bottles left and although I've now doing extract I am tempted to do this again soon.

I boiled the sugar so maybe this made a difference.

glad to know this goes down as another quality kit we can do in a shorter space of time when were busy but still want to sup beer

hi all on this thread (or not)

was the sediment solid(ish) in the bottle once fully conditioned? im concerned its the west coast strain i used in my Youngs AIPA

Cheers

It wasn't solid in mine, it took a few weeks for them to clear and I had to be careful when pouring to avoid getting sediment in.

It wasn't solid in mine, it took a few weeks for them to clear and I had to be careful when pouring to avoid getting sediment in.

that's bit ****.
I went online to see what yeasts go well with IPA, nottingham (gervin) and us-05 came up a few times.
if Myn's the same ill consider gervin next time. always floctuates well with a solid sediment (with good conditioning practices)

hope the hops haven't faded too much

that's bit ****.
I went online to see what yeasts go well with IPA, nottingham (gervin) and us-05 came up a few times.
if Myn's the same ill consider gervin next time. always floctuates well with a solid sediment (with good conditioning practices)

hope the hops haven't faded too much

BRY-97 is another chico strain yeast (similar to US-05) good for IPA's but better flocctution. I've never used it though. I've had some in my fridge for ages but never got around to using it.

He's abit of bed time reading about it
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=333553

I am currently conditioning Razorback IPA. I say conditioning. It tastes great and I've supped nearly half of the 38 bottles i got from it. Can anyone suggest what the strong after taste maybe. I think it is the hops, but in the 1st bottle it is very strong. The 2nd bottle isn't so bad, but I know why that is. It finished at 5.9%. I left the hops 4 days cause i thought I liked a good hoppy brew.

Just bottled a youngs AAA not as hoppy but tastes superb.

Still learning so any advice welcome. Need to get another on the go.

Ive just supped my first bottle after, 2 weeks in fv nd 2 weeks bottle conditioning, and its luvly! Still a bit cloudy but i think another week conditioning then, cooling will sort that out. The hoppiness to me is just perfect,would be more than happy to pay for that in a pub!!!! More thanimpressed for my first attempt at brewing!:thumb:

DSC_0002.jpg

Ive just supped my first bottle after, 2 weeks in fv nd 2 weeks bottle conditioning, and its luvly! Still a bit cloudy but i think another week conditioning then, cooling will sort that out. The hoppiness to me is just perfect,would be more than happy to pay for that in a pub!!!! More thanimpressed for my first attempt at brewing!:thumb:

I think if id have done a premium kit for my first brew things would have been a lot easier. it gives you an easier understanding of how much fermentatables you need to get a good standard abv beer.
the other bonus is festival (ritchies) kits use all malt extract which again, Ur getting the best quality ingredients.
and then of course you've got a ten gram pack of yeast so if half the yeast is already dead you've still got a good chance of a solid fermentation.

get another one goin mate, they don't last

I think if id have done a premium kit for my first brew things would have been a lot easier. it gives you an easier understanding of how much fermentatables you need to get a good standard abv beer.
the other bonus is festival (ritchies) kits use all malt extract which again, Ur getting the best quality ingredients.
and then of course you've got a ten gram pack of yeast so if half the yeast is already dead you've still got a good chance of a solid fermentation.

get another one goin mate, they don't last
Yup got one put by! Just doin a wilko ipa kit for £12, and afew quids worth of hop pellets,. Smelling good so far!:thumb:

wilkos doin an IPA? interesting

Yeah WILKO HOPPY AND LIGHT IPA. Only 12 quid for a 40 pint kit, tin of malt and hop extract and a sachet of yeast. Then a couple of quid for some wilko brewing sugar,mine was bubbling away within a few hours! Really quick fermentation, then i bought some hop pellets to give it a kick! Should be around 4.2%! Get yourself a one mate! :thumb:

Doh!! Its called HOP AND CHEER, NOT HOPPY AND LIGHT!! Sorry:doh:

http://www.wilko.com/cider+beer-brewing/wilko-hop+cheer-ipa-15kg/invt/0440627

may just do that mate. but id prob get two cans and some sugar.
have all the wilkos brand kits gone up to £12? I thought a tenner was standard, 8 quid when on offer

have all the wilkos brand kits gone up to �£12? I thought a tenner was standard, 8 quid when on offer

Not sure on that one, i only seen it on their website last week and it was advertised as a new product? They seem to do all types of ales now, maybe new lines?

have all the wilkos brand kits gone up to �£12? I thought a tenner was standard, 8 quid when on offer

Advertised as a new peoduct on their website? Got a few interesting brews availavle

Im leaving my RB in the FV till i get back from holiday. its still bubbling every 2 mins (albiet a pathetic one) but id rather let it finish before i dry hop. temps at a conrolled 24-25C (brew belt). been 2weeks 3 days so far lovely to see it still going.
ill take the belt off friday and let it fall to ambient temp for the remaining time. the room its in should sustain a steady 19/20 c while im away.
im just considering changing the airlock from a 3 piece to the bubbler, as i was getting suckback. as far as i know the bubbler or s type dont allow this which will be a lot more reassuring

Latest posts

Back