Festival Razorback IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats good to know mate,
im not too worried about a couple of degrees higher than recommended now as its past the initial first critical days of temp control. i like to raise the temp a bit as the fermentation slows down (normally a week later) and give the fv a gentle rock/swirl to rouse any dormant yeast. im always looking to get the best FG reading.
if i can recall 25c is still ok for this kit according to instructions

Last edited:
Good stuff, it is making me want to order a Razorback although tomorrow i should receive my Youngs American IPA and a Amber Ale.
Enjoy your holiday

CHEERS pms67, im hoping the lidl near where were staying (spain) will have a similar selection of beer on the shelves it has here but im not holding my breath.
Maybe the holiday will convert me to lager:-?

Good stuff, it is making me want to order a Razorback although tomorrow i should receive my Youngs American IPA and a Amber Ale.
Enjoy<script id="gpt-impl-0.038583893328905106" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_95.js"></script> your holiday

did you get you're youngs kits on the go mate?
I tried a razorback last night. incredibly hoppy, but this was due to adding more excess hops I had to use up due to the move (and my misses cold stare when opening the freezer draws)
it was a cracker but it was one id put in the fridge for a couple of hours from the airing cupboard so maybe after some cold conditioning this will be the finished article but that's normal practice for beer.
Theyl have a few days at room temp and them after a second trip to the new place Theyl be left in the garage (they're is a god)
finally I can do the third phase of cold conditioning rather than a few kept in the fridge now and then which is another pleaser for the SWMBO

Ive just supped my first bottle after, 2 weeks in fv nd 2 weeks bottle conditioning, and its luvly! Still a bit cloudy but i think another week conditioning then, cooling will sort that out. The hoppiness to me is just perfect,would be more than happy to pay for that in a pub!!!! More thanimpressed for my first attempt at brewing!:thumb:

hope these luvlys are clear now. Myn was cloudy but like you (back then) just need an extra bit of time at a colder climate.

here's another happy festival kit home brewer :.)

hope these luvlys are clear now. Myn was cloudy but like you (back then) just need an extra bit of time at a colder climate.

here's another happy festival kit home brewer :.)

Yup clearing up quite nicely now, pity there isnt many left, as ive been giving a few samples away! Next batch is all mine though!!

hi all
ive just got this kit and was thinking of swapping the dextrose for spray malt ive got that needs using up what do you think?
you got me thinking about the yeast now

hi all
ive just got this kit and was thinking of swapping the dextrose for spray malt ive got that needs using up what do you think?

the yeast is prob a west coast type which accompanies this style well. its a nice ten gram pack. don't waste it

Yup clearing up quite nicely now, pity there isnt many left, as ive been giving a few samples away! Next batch is all mine though!!

I'm done with giving beer out. bottles never come back clean and never seems to encourage another home brewer. maybe its my beer

hi all

I would just go with the kit, this beer is excellent! It was my first attempt at brewing, i gave a pal of mine some,who has a few brews under his belt, and he didnt believe it was from a kit! Thought i had given him some commercial ale!

I would just go with the kit, this beer is excellent! It was my first attempt at brewing, i gave a pal of mine some,who has a few brews under his belt, and he didnt believe it was from a kit! Thought i had given him some commercial ale!

the malt may change the overall flavour and appearance the kit has, also you'd need more to make up the extra abv dextrose would provide. Im not sure how much difference but Youl be getting a slightly weaker beer so Ud have to work out how much extra Ud need, personally like pearl jam man id go for the sugar

however, adding some one dry hops won't do it any harm if you have some you want to get rid of.

the malt may change the overall flavour and appearance the kit has, also you'd need more to make up the extra abv dextrose would provide. Im not sure how much difference but Youl be getting a slightly weaker beer so Ud have to work out how much extra Ud need, personally like pearl jam man id go for the sugar

however, adding some one dry hops won't do it any harm if you have some you want to get rid of.

Yup agree! More hops!!!!!

cheers for that im going with the sugar then

cheers for that im going with the sugar then

If you do want to add extra hops, u can get a good selection of hop pellet tea bags from eBay, a couple of quid for 20g. I have just this minute finished bottling a 40 pint IPA kit from The Range. It came with a small pack of Apollo pellets, i sent off for a 20g pack of Amarillo and added them. What an aroma!! I done the same with a Wilkos IPA, adding simcoe, citra and cascade pellets, came out tasting and smelling amazing......just read up on what you want from your hops.. And get them chucked in,.hopitup!!!!

If you do want to add extra hops, u can get a good selection of hop pellet tea bags from eBay, a couple of quid for 20g. I have just this minute finished bottling a 40 pint IPA kit from The Range. It came with a small pack of Apollo pellets, i sent off for a 20g pack of Amarillo and added them. What an aroma!! I done the same with a Wilkos IPA, adding simcoe, citra and cascade pellets, came out tasting and smelling amazing......just read up on what you want from your hops.. And get them chucked in,.hopitup!!!!

sounds good to me the more hoppy the better
i must check out the range never thought of there :thumb:

sounds good to me the more hoppy the better
i must check out the range never thought of there :thumb:

They have a few kits,think I paid £14. It's just basic straightforward kit ,u have to add your own sugar to it,but it's worth a go for that price,and if it's half as good as my Wilko kit turned out then I will do a few more! (Still got a Razorback on the sidelines begging to be brewed though!!!)

Your Razorback should be noticeably better than the one can kits with added sugar as they come with almost double the liquid malt extract.
Experimenting is good though and the Festival kits dont tell you what ratio of individual hops they supply so its difficult to tell how to recreate the flavour

Back