Warm brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

568ml

Reaction score
Eh up!

I only brew kits, too lazy to do anything other than "pot-noodle" brewing. I failed in my forward planing and my stock is running low. I need a nice brew for end August and one for early Autumn.

What would you recommend kit wise for a beer that will brew in the 20-22c area? Don't think this "heatwave" will be over soon, it is summer after all :) Normally have the kitchen at about 12-16c and the FV running at 18c.

I do like Summer Ales, IPAs and hoppy stuff. Normally hit the Coopers Kits recipes, though did try this spring a Festival Razorback IPA and enjoyed it.

Don't have space for another pot to put the FV to cool it down or a fridge, let alone the money - it is really equipment or beer.

Happy brewing

The main point is a temperature tolerant yeast.
I have used So4 and US05 up to 24 - 25c without any issues. You can therefore replace the kit yeast with one that will work in slightly higher temps.

The main point is a temperature tolerant yeast.
I have used So4 and US05 up to 24 - 25c without any issues. You can therefore replace the kit yeast with one that will work in slightly higher temps.

Good shout...Im brewing a Golden Stag which gets good reviews and should make a nice hoppy summer brew.

Nice thinking Batman erm Dads_Ale :)

Yes, Robin54, the Golden Stag looks good. now which yeast S04 or US05?

It's your choice...

SO4 is an English ale yeast, it stops fermenting fairly early so leaves quite a bit of sugar behind, which helps with body and flavour. For this reason it's probably best suited to fairly low gravity beers. It also produces significant amounts of esters, which make for a more interesting flavour.

SO5 ferments more sugar, so leaves a thinner, stronger beer and ferments cleanly, makes few esters. This yeast is probably best suited to a hop-forward beer, it doesn't produce tastes that clash with the hops, it might be too bland for an English bitter for some palates.

My opinion? For a light, hoppy summer ale I'd go for SO5.

http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_S04.pdf
http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_US05.pdf

Just to add my 2p, If your fermenting at 20-22C I wouln't worry if your doing a coopers kit/reciepe as the coopers yeast has good temp tolerences. But as the others have said US-05/S04 have great temp tolerance as well if you decide to go for a non coopers kit

Latest posts

Back