Cooper's Recipes - from there website

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cooper's publish recipes on the Aus site and https://uk.diybeer.com methods for modifying the basic kits.

Has anybody here tried them, how well did they work?

Atb. Aamcle

Can you be a bit more specific and tell us us where exactly they give methods fo modifying rather than having to trawl through the whole site?

I've done a few of them and they're a great improvement on the base kits. Hop Gobbler's a good one:
https://uk.diybeer.com/recipes/index/view/id/37/

The Coopers kits can be so cheap in sales that they make a great base to experiment with. I tend to pick my favourite AG recipe, do the latter stages (last 10min boil/ steep) and add it to a similar-style Coopers kit (e.g. light or dark). I recently did a Coopers Aus Pale Ale made up with the latter stages of a St Austell Proper Job hop schedule, came out great.

I've done a few of them and they're a great improvement on the base kits. Hop Gobbler's a good one:
https://uk.diybeer.com/recipes/index/view/id/37/

The Coopers kits can be so cheap in sales that they make a great base to experiment with. I tend to pick my favourite AG recipe, do the latter stages (last 10min boil/ steep) and add it to a similar-style Coopers kit (e.g. light or dark). I recently did a Coopers Aus Pale Ale made up with the latter stages of a St Austell Proper Job hop schedule, came out great.

I think doing this plus adding a liquid yeast would make a kit fantastic. I keep thinking about doing it but I never do :lol:
Which sales do you find your cheap coopers kits in?

Tesco Direct sell a lot of the Coopers kits in their regular sales for a tenner - you need to keep an eye out for these sales, seem to happen every 3-4 months. Even if your local doesn't stock homebrew, you can get it delivered to the store and pick up at your convenience. I think Brew Enhancer was down to 4 quid last time so you can get a full brew (kit plus enhancer) for 14 quid.

I did Coopers Stout with a liquid yeast last time grown from the dregs of a commercial bottle-conditioned stout, came out great. Although the Coopers yeast seem pretty good.

See also...http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62377
And don't boil grains as one recipe suggests. Read through the above post to find out why.
My 'go-to' for boosting Coopers kits (usually Australian Pale Ale and Real Ale) is a micro mash of 250g Pale Malt (a bit of extra body/flavour), with 100g Torrified Wheat (head retention) and 100 - 150g Crystal Malt (mouthfeel and a bit of sweetness) followed by a boil of the sieved wort.
Then a late 5 or 6 day dry hop of about 60g of something from my 'store'. Typically Cascade works well with these kits, although I have used other hops including Celeia and Target.
And there are plenty of boosts for the Stout kits, see kit reviews on our Forum. Mine is 500g of Dark DME, 500g Golden Syrup, 150g Dark Muscavado sugar and three measures of strong Italian roast coffee(liquid), brewed short to 19 litres to keep it in the FV.

Terry. You do realise don't you that you have moved well I to extract brewing?

Using the Can is just a source of hopped LME, although I suppose that that's all it ever is, the last kit I brewed had a mini mash for fermentables. I used a temperature probe n controller to mash in a slow cooker it worked very well and it's so much less expensive that buying LME/DME, more fun too:)
Atb. Aamcle

Terry. You do realise don't you that you have moved well I to extract brewing?

Using the Can is just a source of hopped LME, although I suppose that that's all it ever is, the last kit I brewed had a mini mash for fermentables. I used a temperature probe n controller to mash in a slow cooker it worked very well and it's so much less expensive that buying LME/DME, more fun too:)
Atb. Aamcle

I did extract brews 40 odd years ago when kits were rubbish. However ingredients were very limited, like you could only get Goldings or Fuggles hops and had no idea of how fresh they were. No such thing as 'American' hops then! However the good thing at that time was that you could buy EDME Diastatic Malt Syrup (DMS) which had its own diastase, and so the mashing process was a bit more predictable. Sadly it seems you can no longer buy DMS or similar.
Nowadays I do the occasional extract brew, but find kits provide flexibility in that you can boost them if you want to or, if you are pushed for time, you can make up a quick brew as it comes, but always with a back stop of a late dry hop to give it a big lift. Plus the quality and diversity of kits available is so much better.

Latest posts

Back