Wilko hop & cheer IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evolram

Reaction score
Started this yesterday 500g light DME and 500g sugar. I'm not going to do anything to it just to see how it turns out. Will let you know how I get on.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I too have just set one of these kits away, gonna put a few citra,mosaic and simcoe hop pellets a few days before bottling! Hopefully end up with a dead pony club sort of taste???!! If it dont work......hey it was only 12 quid for the kit a and a couple of quid for the hops!!! Anyone else tried adding extra hops to a basic kit?

Last edited:
Got the new wilko hop n cheer to do later along with coopers new AIPA but gonna brew them to instruction with no fiddling about with them when I get around to them as you have to know the kit standard imo

I too have just set one of these kits away, gonna put a few citra,mosaic and simcoe hop pellets a few days before bottling! Hopefully end up with a dead pony club sort of taste???!! If it dont work......hey it was only 12 quid for the kit a and a couple of quid for the hops!!! Anyone else tried adding extra hops to a basic kit?

Yes, dry hopping a kit for five days or so before bottling will give it a lift, but it won't taste like a commercial beer.like a dead pony club.

Pimping up a kit is definitely a step in the right direction.

Got the new wilko hop n cheer to do later along with coopers new AIPA but gonna brew them to instruction with no fiddling about with them when I get around to them as you have to know the kit standard imo

thats how i see it aswell, if you dont know where it was supposed to be going you could end up going in the wrong direction....

What sort of quantity do you think, i was thinkin about 10 -15g? Would that be a bit too much?

Having moved house in May, and not yet set up to do my usual AG, I've been using a few kits instead (with yeast from Brewlab slopes). I bought a couple of Wilko's 3kg Golden Ale when they were being sold off.
With one of these I added 50g Motueka as hop tea, then dry hopped with 50g Lemon Drop and 50g Mosaic. Not in Punk IPA territory, but the result is really excellent! :thumb:
In fact, it was so good - and there is so much work to be done on the "new" house - that I might be brewing modified kits for quite a while! :whistle:

If you like Dead Pony Club then your 60g total of dry hop will definitely not spoil it in my opinion - in fact I reckon it won't be nearly as "hoppy" as the Brewdog product. (Brewdog's recipe for 20l has 50g Simcoe, 75g Citra & 62.5g Mosaic)

I love the combination of Citra and Mosaic - they really go very well together. Mosaic is definitely one of my all-time favourite flavour & aroma hops!
I haven't used Simcoe, but it obviously works if you like Dead Pony Club. I guess that the only drawback in using all 3 is that you won't know what each is contributing to the final result.
Don't worry about bitterness, although all three are pretty high alpha acid you won't add any extra bitterness to the beer through dry hopping, so it won't adversely affect the kit in that way. :thumb:

20G of citra for 5 days in the fv after the initial activity has died down will give you big hit in the finished beer,use it regular as a dry hop as its one of my favourites:thumb:

alot of members seem to favour this variation....must be something in the water....that or a good variation of hop :whistle:

I used 25g of citra in a gallon of turbo cider and the hop taste really popped.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

If you like Dead Pony Club then your 60g total of dry hop will definitely not spoil it in my opinion - in fact I reckon it won't be nearly as "hoppy" as the Brewdog product. (Brewdog's recipe for 20l has 50g Simcoe, 75g Citra & 62.5g Mosaic)

I love the combination of Citra and Mosaic - they really go very well together. Mosaic is definitely one of my all-time favourite flavour & aroma hops!
I haven't used Simcoe, but it obviously works if you like Dead Pony Club. I guess that the only drawback in using all 3 is that you won't know what each is contributing to the final result.
Don't worry about bitterness, although all three are pretty high alpha acid you won't add any extra bitterness to the beer through dry hopping, so it won't adversely affect the kit in that way. :thumb:
Great, as long as you dont think that it will kill it i think im just gonna go the full 60g! What you reckon..... Pellets straight into fv, pellets into muslin bag in fv, or hop tea french press method????

Great, as long as you dont think that it will kill it i think im just gonna go the full 60g! What you reckon..... Pellets straight into fv, pellets into muslin bag in fv, or hop tea french press method????
pellets in a muslin bag steeped for 20 mins in water not hotter than 70C then pour hop tea in fermenter around day 5 and hang the teabag in the muslin sock in the beer in the fermenter weighted down with ss spoons or marbles.steralised of course again for the 5 day period after initial activity has died away
then keg.thats how I do it never boil the hops as you don't want the bitterness from them only the aroma and flavour

pellets in a muslin bag steeped for 20 mins in water not hotter than 70C then pour hop tea in fermenter around day 5 and hang the teabag in the muslin sock in the beer in the fermenter weighted down with ss spoons or marbles.steralised of course again for the 5 day period after initial activity has died away
then keg.thats how I do it never boil the hops as you don't want the bitterness from them only the aroma and flavour
Thanks for that godsdog! All this is new to me, only one brew in, but wanting to mix it up a little already!!!! Thats me though! Was thinkin of doing just what you recommend., so that's wot im gonna do! Cant wait to do this later when i get in from work! Brew stopped fermenting and sittin at 1005. Bottle monday hopefully! :drunk::cheers::thumb:

Cant wait to do this later when i get in from work! Brew stopped fermenting and sittin at 1005. Bottle monday hopefully! :drunk::cheers::thumb:
Try this....
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61045
I have recently started to use the 'chuck em in as they come' approach in conjunction with a sock that came with a Festival kit that fits over the end of the siphon tube, when the brew is going into a PB. This is because if the siphon tube does get blocked with hop debris then it's less of a problem to clean up the sock and restart the siphon.
For bottles I still use a large muslin bag with spoons for weights, which means the siphon never gets blocked.
I will also give the FV a swirl for the first two or three days of the dry hop to ensure the hops get moved about a bit.

Thanks for that godsdog! All this is new to me, only one brew in, but wanting to mix it up a little already!!!! Thats me though! Was thinkin of doing just what you recommend., so that's wot im gonna do! Cant wait to do this later when i get in from work! Brew stopped fermenting and sittin at 1005. Bottle monday hopefully! :drunk::cheers::thumb:
Another approach I have done is do the same thing but in the keg with the finished beer,hops are antibacterial so won't get any infections off them,a bigger hit with the hop this way

Latest posts

Back