Home Brew Competition - December 16

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The category for December 16 is Wheat Beers

Style Guidelines:

Wheat Beer
(Includes Weissbier, Dunkel Weissbier, American Wheat Beer, Witbier. Does not include other styles with lower percentages of wheat, Saisons or Wild/Lambic/Sour brews including Berliner Weisse)
Wheat beers should have an OG of between 1.040 and 1.055 (exceptions exist such as Weizenbock which is generally 1.060-1.090) and 5-30 IBUs. American What Beers may have higher IBUs. Wheat Beers typically exhibit flavour/aroma created by yeast and fermentation processes. Malt intensity can be enhanced via decoctions or other methods. Hops are usually noble and in the background (American Wheats aside). Some degree of fruit or spice tones is acceptable, as is tartness, sourness and sharpness, dependent upon the style. Wheat beers should be dry with higher levels of carbonation.

You can see all style guidelines here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64366

Judge: @strange-steve

If you'd like to enter please send a PM to the judge who will provide you with a delivery address. Entries must reach the judge by Saturday 31st December and feedback will be provided by PM within a few weeks. The winner will be announced on this thread.

For details of what details needs to be provided with your entry and competition rules please look at this thread: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64349

Might make this my first entry. I'll need to check how good my American Wheat still is before the deadline though as o think it's on the cusp of starting to deteriorate.

Many entering this month? I'd imagine @dad_of_jon would have something suitable for this one?

Sadly, I don't think I'll be entering, I haven't got time to get anything brewed and it's probably not wise to knock up 23l of something I won't like.

I've moved my last bottle of American Wheat out of the fridge and into my brew cupboard (where hopefully I won't get it mixed up with my Belgian pale which have the same colour caps and haven't cleared yet). I'll PM @strange-Steve later

Unfortunately wheat beer isn't a style I make, so I won't be sending one this month - getting a stout on for Jan this weekend though.
:cheers:

I'm in. Not bottling until Thursday and would ideally like to carb for a week before posting. Could be tricky with the xmas post.

It could be a couple of weeks into January before I get round to judging so you should be ok.

Got my entry underway this morning at 7am. Far too much thinking and planning gone into this although this is only the 2nd time I have made a recipe from scratch myself.
Mainly looking forward to some feedback.

Got my entry underway this morning at 7am. Far too much thinking and planning gone into this although this is only the 2nd time I have made a recipe from scratch myself.
Mainly looking forward to some feedback.

Looking forward to tasting it :thumb:
Probably a bit late but check out my wheat beer top tips here.
There's still time to get a wheat beer made everyone, this is a very quick turnaround beer, 2-3 weeks grain to glass is fine.

Looking forward to tasting it :thumb:
Probably a bit late but check out my wheat beer top tips here.
There's still time to get a wheat beer made everyone, this is a very quick turnaround beer, 2-3 weeks grain to glass is fine.

I had already read them which I why I wasn't panicking doing the brew what seems quite close to the deadline. :thumb:
I have to say the brew didn't quite go to plan though!

I have a Dunkel Weizen but a a bit unsure about posting a bottle - how do you guys normally do it? Bubble wrap?

This is the packaging they use (and re-use) -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXPANDED-...e&clk_rvr_id=1136456993131&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I have a Dunkel Weizen but a a bit unsure about posting a bottle - how do you guys normally do it? Bubble wrap?

Yeah I normally put a couple of layers of bubble wrap then wrap some fairly sturdy cardboard around it. I've sent dozens of bottles that way and never lost one yet.

Latest posts

Back