Recommend a kit for a curious AG brewer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Landlord.
Reaction score
It's a long time since I brewed a kit and I'm curious to see how it would work out.

I'm after something that will showcase the very best in kits, so probably a "two can" kit.

I happy to do a few simple mods, hop tea/ dry hopping, changes to volume, yeast and so on. I'm not sure I want to start soaking grains or partial mashing that would seem to miss the point of a kit.

I'm not interested in any thing Belgium as I just don't like them.

Possibly a good Pale or Bitter (not Werry it's dull) or a nice Porter, a balanced beer with hops but not a hop monster.

So watcha got?

ATB aamcle

Made the Young's American Mocha Porter as my Christmas beer, probably one of the nicest beers (and close to commercial equivalents) that I've made to date and I've been brewing kits for quite a long time! If you don't like coffee though then avoid ;) The APA from the same Young's range was also a very good beer, not too hoppy but had enough to make it interesting.

I made the Festival Winter Spiced Dark Ale for my Christmas beer. It had 2 pouches rather than cans but very good beer without any additions. Needs maybe a month cold conditioning in bottle before drinking though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilko do a nice Yorkshire bitter kit
I change the sugar and dry hoped
I used 1kg brown Muscovado Sugar
I dry hoped last two days in fv with 25g of Chinook

I haven't read a bad report on the youngs american style kits, I've done the AAA one and it was very good, some reviews are a bit wary on adding the full amount of hops so will depend how hoppy you like your beer.

I've been tempted to do either the youngs mocha porter and/or the ipa (maybe too hoppy for what you want) again...if i hadn't moved to ag I'd probably regularly have one of these two on the go...

but for the price of 25kg of base malt each I haven't bitten the bullet yet.

yup I can do 2 x 40 bottles for the price of a good kit.

Oh well I have 3 or 4 AG batches to brew first so there is no hurry.

Federation Special Ale - fermenting now
Burtonwood Mild next 3.2%abv
Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild 5.6%
Oregon Stout about 6%
Use it up Stout >10%​

then it's time for the kit so that's 21/2 to 3 months.

aamcle

Isn't that a very hoppy beer? op says he doesn't want a hop monster, i havent done that kit and im now biab but it has good reviews i guess, one persons hop bomb is anothers Pale Ale i guess, all subjective personal taste

After a long lay off I came back to homebrewing. I have Tried Festival Golden Stag summer ale and it stands in comparison to a lot of local micro brewery pale ales I was very impressed with it. Also done the Youngs American Pale Ale which was also good and currently maturing a Festical Landlord. I would suggest trying the Golden Stag I think you will be surpprised at the quality considering its a kit.

Where are you based I have a bulldog hammer of Thor, surplus to requirements ( I've given up on kits only do all grain now) it's not that old and got a best before date of 2018. I'm open to offers

Where are you based

Me? I'm near St Helens about 1/2 way between Liverpool and Manchester, are you local Chris?

As this is about curiosity what's known about the 1/2 size beers of the world kits, are they good?

Atb aamcle

Been ages since I brewed it as it was my 2nd of 4 kits but you could try St Peters Ruby Red

+1. If you think Wherry's dull, try St. Peter's Ruby Red, as Covrich suggests. You can add hops if you like 'hoppy' or Malt extract if you like more body, more malty beer.

This has been overtaken by Tesco's sale I have a Brewmaker Pilsner in the FV, I did mash some grain to provide the extra sugar so it's not quite to plan but that's the power of 1/2 price.

I also got a Coopers Real Ale kit and intend to use it with the second running's of the silly strong stout I planed for later.

ATB. aamcle

Latest posts

Back