Coopers European larger

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i couldn't get the s-23 so went for the W-34/70 my fridge is now empty, 2 questions (sorry) do i pitch the yeast at 12 degrees and ferment at the same temperature and whats the method for re hydrating the yeast or do i just whisk it in dry

i couldn't get the s-23 so went for the W-34/70 my fridge is now empty, 2 questions (sorry) do i pitch the yeast at 12 degrees and ferment at the same temperature and whats the method for re hydrating the yeast or do i just whisk it in dry

In the absence of responses, my suggestion....
Follow the instructions for hydrating/starting.
http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFG_W34pdf.pdf
Pitch at 21*Cish .
Keep at 19-21*C for a few hours to get the yeast going.
Then slowly cool to 12-13*C for the primary.
Others may have better ideas. :thumb:

What terry says about pitching temperature.

To rehydrate I generally put 3 or 4 spoonfuls of malt in 200 - 300 ml of water at about 25C.
I usually boil the water, put it in a pyrex jug and place in the freezer to cool.
Give it a stir for an hour or so and then pitch it.

From what I've read about cold fermentation and largering (I've never fermented at true lager temps only pseudo lagering at 15C) it's best to pitch the the yeast at fermentation temp or a little below (say 1C). The whole point of lagers is a clean taste. If you pitch at ale temps to get it going then drop the temp to lager temps, you may create esters which will not give you the clean(est) taste your after.

I think (and what I've read) it's better to pitch a correct amount of yeast (double ale amounts), rather than to try to 'jump start' it with a warmer temp

@MyQul
You might be right about pitching temps. :thumb:
I remembered that there is a recipe on the coopers site for cold brewed Euro lager so found it to see what they suggest.
http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/18/
Not only does it use W34/70 yeast with the kit yeast but also pitching at 22-24*C is recommended, although there is no holding at this temperature for a few hours, just allow to cool.
So 'yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice' it seems to me.
Aside from this there is also a recipe for Pilsner using the Pilsner kit can which uses the same method. The Euro lager and the Pilsner share the same Coopers lager yeast but whereas the Euro lager should be fermented at ale temps with a single pack of kit yeast (as suggested by Coopers) the Pilsner is fermented at low temperatures with no extras it appears. Confusing.

well ive just been and got another lager kit because i can get 2 fermenters in my fridge and we wouldnt want to waste that space therfore i do want to try and get this right or its 80 pints on the flower bed LOL pitch high pitch low OMG well at least i know how to re hydrate the yeast, looks like its going to be trial and error

@MyQul
You might be right about pitching temps. :thumb:
I remembered that there is a recipe on the coopers site for cold brewed Euro lager so found it to see what they suggest.
http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/18/
Not only does it use W34/70 yeast with the kit yeast but also pitching at 22-24*C is recommended, although there is no holding at this temperature for a few hours, just allow to cool.
So 'yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice' it seems to me.
Aside from this there is also a recipe for Pilsner using the Pilsner kit can which uses the same method. The Euro lager and the Pilsner share the same Coopers lager yeast but whereas the Euro lager should be fermented at ale temps with a single pack of kit yeast (as suggested by Coopers) the Pilsner is fermented at low temperatures with no extras it appears. Confusing.

There's no reason why you can't ferment lager yeast at ale temps, it just doesnt come out as clean. It makes a 'steam beer'. Although I have read that if you do this some lager strains it just comes out nasty tasting.
There's a Brulosophy experiment where he makes a lager with W34/70 at lager temps and ale temps and most of the testers dont seem to be able to tell the difference between the two beers.
Iirc @beercat has used the CML kolsch yeast at both 15C and ale temps (19C?) and says he cant tell the difference

There's no reason why you can't ferment lager yeast at ale temps, it just doesnt come out as clean. It makes a 'steam beer'. Although I have read that if you do this some lager strains it just comes out nasty tasting.
There's a Brulosophy experiment where he makes a lager with W34/70 at lager temps and ale temps and most of the testers dont seem to be able to tell the difference between the two beers.
Iirc @beercat has used the CML kolsch yeast at both 15C and ale temps (19C?) and says he cant tell the difference

I hadn't heard of Steam Beer before.
Surprisingly Coopers use the Real Ale for this.
http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/16/

Hi

I have made this lager about a month ago I added a full jar of honey to it and also I put a a sachet of dry hop goldings with this and it has turned out brilliantly.

I used wilko yeast 12g sachet and fermented at 20degrees in the kitchen.

Has anybody else tried this.

Cheers
dave

It's not really. The californian common style is a hybrid style. An ale, using lager yeast fermented at ale temps. Which may of may not be cold conditioned (lagered).
My understanding of 'steam beer' is any beer using a lager yeast fermented at ale temps. Therefore, the californian common is an example

Hi

I have made this lager about a month ago I added a full jar of honey to it and also I put a a sachet of dry hop goldings with this and it has turned out brilliantly.

Cheers
dave

I could see how that would really work. The comb of simple sugar (honey) and v.high attenuating yeast would really dry things out making in very lager like

That looks like a good recipe but you could just use 1 pack of cml kolsch yeast and save some dosh. Firts time i brewed AG version of these it was horrible, not sure if its the northern brewer hops which i didn't like though. Have you tried them they are supposed to be minty? Am a bit of a fan of citra though.

Hi

Cheers
dave
Not your recipe but I have made up the kit, and for me it definitely improves with keeping, so suggest you don't drink them all yet. I am now drinking mine which is nearly five months old and it's definitely better than at one month. Coopers themselves recommend keeping it for three months which is unusual for a kit, it's usually drink it asap.

It's not really. The californian common style is a hybrid style. An ale, using lager yeast fermented at ale temps. Which may of may not be cold conditioned (lagered).
My understanding of 'steam beer' is any beer using a lager yeast fermented at ale temps. Therefore, the californian common is an example

When I read your post I presumed it would be a lighter beer, hence my surprise.
I thought they use one of their new IPA's.

Coopers European Lager with BE2 + kit yeat & Saflager S23. Fermented for 14 days at 13C, then 3 days at 17.5C. Lagered for 3 weeks at 4.5C. 2 weeks in the house for 2nd fermentation and another 2-3 weeks conditioning.

I'm going for this method that was posted by Robsparky99 not sure how he pitched the yeast or at what temp but I'm gong to rehidrate and pitch at 13 degrees and hope for the best ????

Latest posts

Back