Pinneapple wine.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Bought 4 pinneapples today! Going to be making pinneapple wine tomorrow.

Picked up the pinneapples for 98p each from ASDA!

You should be able to find the recipe in Berrys book. (Dont have it to hand at the moment)

Anyone else whos up for a £3.92 wine brew feel free to brew-along!

Berry's description of this always makes me want to try it, one day i will, maybe even soon. At the mo my only fermenting bin is occupied tho, so it wont happen for at least a week. good luck with it, looks like a winning wine to me.

Are you sticking to Berry's recipe, or are you gonna tinker with it a bit. When the time comes for me to make this one i think i might well aim for a medium rather than sweet. I'd have to rummage about online a bit to choose an option that suits my goal.

Keep us updated crE, especially when you rack and get a sip.

I will do.

I think I may stick to Berry's reicpe. I dont mind sweet wines, and I quite like the idea of a sweet pinneapple flavour, rather than a drier one.

Should be starting this tomorrow after work. Looking forward to it!

sounds good, sweet and pineapple is indeed a good sounding combo as they are already pretty acidic, kinda like oranges and that makes a nice sweet wine.

I must apologize for the lack of detail here!

4 average sized (whatever that is) pinneapples all cut up into slices like you can see on the right:

1.jpg

They were then boiled for 30mins

2.jpg

I strained this into the FV, added the 1.75kg Berry recommends, topped up to the gallon... and took a reading...

3.jpg
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surely thats too high? Am I reading berrys recipe right?? Any chance you can confirm to me perci?

Just racked and its at a gravity of: 1.092 - still bubbling like the clappers.

Can be pretty certain that this is going to be a SWEET wine!

Berry says 1.75kg sugar/gallon. also says it's a sweet wine. i never tried this recipe yet, but will do some day. I would have cut the skins off the pineapple slices too. dunno if that would have been a mistake tho, the skins may add something (tannin like???) to help balance the sweetness.

That is another problem with Berry's recipes

There is no indication of an expected OG . . . Which considering the amount of sugar in the fruit is variable, and the amount of sugar is a constant . . . . . could either end up with an overly sweet wine or an excessively dry one. . . . . and while a sweet wine is OK (say a Sauternes) they only work if it is balanced by the body and acidity (as in a Sauternes).

My personal take on this would be to brew another pineapple wine with 1/3 of the sugar, and then blend the two wines.

reckon it would be worth trying a medium or dry variety anyway, to drink as it is ... next time pineapples are cheap. you may find you like the sweet one and that it has its right time and place, or that blending will make something you prefer. its just personal preferences after all. i've never tried blending finished/or almost finished wines, i imagine i would end up drunk quite quickly and have great fun. I always just accepted the wine for what it is, and brought it out when the occasion is right. One day i'm sure i'll try blending tho, i have been accumulating demijohns and time will come when i have plenty of wine to experiment with.

i have always been happy with Berry, i often tinker a little with his recipes, and as i repeat more of them i take more of an interest in the details, as a first attempt i pretty much stick to them tho and see how the come out. Its always interesting and often worthwhile to do a little recipe searching online before starting a brew, you'll get ideas and find info to feed your imagination or fill in gaps that you want filled. If you want more detail than Berry gives it's easy enough to find, in that case Berry will at the very least be a source of ideas. With experience we become more fussy and skilled, then we are able to see where and how we can 'improve' on the recipes. .... 'improve' as so much comes down to individual taste.

!!!!

I've just realised, when I took the original gravity.. the mixture must have been 50-60'c!! Which would have thrown it way off.. That's why it was so high :lol: - god knows what % it'll end up now. Will never know!

i don't think it'll matter much when you started off so sweet ;)

i have been wondering tho .... even over the past few years the quality of pineapples in shops has greatly improved. I dunno when, or even if, this recipe has taken account of that with an update, but i reckon it wasn't too long ago that 'fresh' pineapples reaching these shores were very much smaller and less sweet. Anyway, it says sweet in the recipe and its gonna be sweet :D

swmbo has requested a ginger wine, so i'm doing some research for it, i see all sorts of recipes online using tea, green tea, raisins, sultanas, oranges, lemons etc etc etc Berry suggests using a heap of cloves. a brewday thread will appear with my cobbled together recipe sometime soonish as all the ingredients are in the house and i just have to decide where to tinker ... most likely leave out most of the cloves and use green tea (swmbo likes green tea too) ... hydrometer is at the ready and i have a spare one too.

Back