Friday is my Birthday and also Brew Day!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome, hopefully it'll come out nice and I've not bitten off too much for my first brew. But I've put the time in to research, and get everything prepared and ready and made sure I have everything equipment wise that I need. So fingers crossed.

I've almost got the water up to temp, and I opted for heating 36L of water in one go... taken an hour and a half to get to 69c so far!!

I need 15L for Strike water, and then 19L for sparge. If I transfer the 72.2c water from the kettle to the HLT Cooler, in an hours time after the mash... do you think the sparge water will still be hot enough? Or would I need to boil some to heat it?

Happy birthday and good luck.

The only way to know if your sparge water is the right temp is to check it. I wouldn't worry though, sparge water temp isn't an important parameter for the final beer. If it is 65C instead of 72C, it won't make a noticeable difference.

Happy birthday and all the best for the brewday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mash and sparge seemed to go okay, but no matter how much I recirculated the wort in the mash tun, I still ended up with some grains in the wort. Maybe the grains I have are ground a little too fine? My mash tun is a false bottom style cooler. The second stage was better as there was more water weighing the grain bed down maybe?

I ended up with about 1L less wort than the recipe says. I was looking for 28.5L and I got around 27L give or take. Probably small errors in my water measuring, as due to lack of pump I've been using jugs to transfer from the boil kettle to the mash tun.

It's back on the burner now ready to get up to the boil.

Sounds good. I wouldn't worry too much about volumes, for the first brew on new equipment it's about learning where things come out as much as anything, then you can adjust expectations for future brews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think it would be a bad idea to sanitise some muslin cloth and siphon the cooled wort into the FV, to filter out the hop residue and the malt bit which ended up in the wort?

Latest posts

Back