Add extra LME add to Primary or secondary to boost ABV and flavour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshK

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've made a Bavarian Hefeweizen, annoyingly due to my mistake the OG was 1.030 and the Final gravity is now 1.010. It tastes watery and has an ABV of only 2.65%! I have yet to move into secondary but want to boost the flavour and ABV with some LME. So....

1. Would you guys add LME to primary or secondary? It's been in primary for about 10 days
2. If so what LME would you use?
3. Or would you instead add another fermentable to increase flavour? (fruit?)
4. or do you have nay other ideas!

The malt / yeast / hops were -

Grain 5050g mix of pilsner and wheat
Yeast 10g of mangrove jacks
Hops one addition at 60m (overall boil 60m) of H. Hersbucker

Thanks!

Hi all.

I've made a Bavarian Hefeweizen, annoyingly due to my mistake the OG was 1.030 and the Final gravity is now 1.010. It tastes watery and has an ABV of only 2.65%! I have yet to move into secondary but want to boost the flavour and ABV with some LME. So....

1. Would you guys add LME to primary or secondary? It's been in primary for about 10 days
2. If so what LME would you use?
3. Or would you instead add another fermentable to increase flavour? (fruit?)
4. or do you have nay other ideas!

The malt / yeast / hops were -

Grain 5050g mix of pilsner and wheat
Yeast 10g of mangrove jacks
Hops one addition at 60m (overall boil 60m) of H. Hersbucker

Thanks!

grab a can of wilkos wheat kit and add that in. it will do the trick. add to primary and stir slowly.

Nice idea, I've just been on their website and it says you need to add water and sugar. Should I add some sort of sugar as mine's now all gone?

I do have a load of LME at home would the wilko wheat kit work better?

Cheers

One last thing - would you also pitch the yeast that came with the kit? It's a weiss beer yeast.

Cheer

I would say that the answers are:

Yes, the wheat malt kit from Wilko will be the most interesting and rewarding way forward, and:

No, don't add anything else.

Latest posts

Back