Atomic Lemon 19/9/08

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
70g of sweetener is actually loads, by the way! I added this a bit late (yesterday) - didn't realise it'd be a whole jar - it was rather interesting getting it all in ;)

right, my atomic lemon was bottled last saturday and is currently sat conditioning in the bottle...am gonna open one on friday or saturday to find out how its become..chilled of course!!
:D

falafael said:
right, my atomic lemon was bottled last saturday and is currently sat conditioning in the bottle...am gonna open one on friday or saturday to find out how its become..chilled of course!!
:D

Good luck! Mine's almost at dryness and ready for bottling - but still bubbling - on day 30.

Many thanks to falafael for pointing me towards llannige's original post on Atomic Lemon as I was intrigued by this recipe.
Well I have gone for it as just started 4 galls. Although I found it hard to add 280 gms of sweetener (4 jars !) so only added one (I should be able to adjust sweetness by adding more when it comes to bottling, I hope). I have a couple of questions, do you ferment on the fruit for the full 20 days or so before racking :?: I have used Lalvin EC-1118 champagne yeast, is this a good choice :hmm: . My OG was 1.100 so this must be a knockout brew not to be drunk by the pint I assume :eek: I will keep you posted as to it's progress.

I've made something similar today!

400g Table Sugar
70g T**co Sweetener
454g T**co Oak Lane Thin Cut Lemon and Lime Marmalade (45.7g sugar per 100g)
250ml Lemon juice
250ml Lime juice
1 fresh lemons
1 fresh limes
Youngs Cider Yeast
1 gall. demi-john

Sounds nice dandan, good luck.

Bottled my atomic lemon (with grape) a few days ago, it tastes like alcopop - probably the grape's fault though - pretty good fun anyway!

Yeah I'm happy ;) will try again now that I've got lime juice (made by Funkin, posh bar stuff - they do loads of fruit purees but aren't massively cheap) with the original recipe.

May I say again many thanks to falafael for pointing me towards llannige's original post on Atomic Lemon as I was intrigued by this recipe. Well, I made the stuff months ago now and said I would post a progress report. It took a very long time to ferment out and I left it on the fruit the whole time. When all bubbles had stopped in air lock it suddenly cleared and was worried that I did not have enough live yeast in suspension for priming my 500 ml swing top bottles. So I took some of the pulp and yeast and restarted it in a demijohn in case I had to inoculate the bottles with live yeast to get the fizz. No need to worry, bottled 3 weeks ago and full of sparkling CO2 with very little sediment. A bit dry for my taste (I only used 1/4 of the sweetener)
What a fantastic brew!! :clap:clap: Mine started at OG 1.100 so not for the faint hearted, but great with the addition of orange juice as sweetener.
Thanks again to you both for your guidance. I know this is a reply to a very old post, but I hope you pick it up.
3.10 am better drink the last bit and go to bed.

Glad it turned out well Doobury. :thumb:

I brewed another one after you mentioned it in your original post and was again well happy. :grin:

Just seen this thread. I really want to make this when I have a DJ free.

One question, is the sweetener necessary? I'm not keen on the taste of artificial sweetener. Could I add extra sugar? Or even just leave the sweetener out altogether?

Actually that was three questions. :whistle:

I suppose you could bump up the sugar content if you are not keen on using the sweetener. :hmm:

Good luck with it anyway,I'm sure you won't be disappointing. :thumb:

SheyMouse said:
Just seen this thread. I really want to make this when I have a DJ free.

One question, is the sweetener necessary? I'm not keen on the taste of artificial sweetener. Could I add extra sugar? Or even just leave the sweetener out altogether?

Actually that was three questions. :whistle:

If you want to bottle condition and not use a sweetener, you will have to used a non-fermentable sugar (Lactose ??) otherwise you will run the risk of exploding bottles by bumping up the sugar level.

Doobury said:
If you want to bottle condition and not use a sweetener, you will have to used a non-fermentable sugar (Lactose ??) otherwise you will run the risk of exploding bottles by bumping up the sugar level.

Ahhh yes. Good point about the extra fermentation. I suppose I could use Stabalising Powder to kill the extra yeast (here)
Or am I wrong. :hmm:

As long as you wait till its finished fermenting (standard practice) before bottling there won't be any problems.

Hi there,

first post for me on this very informative form. I have started a batch of wurzels and Atomic lemon, following the instructions to the letter. I placed both Demijohns in the airing cupboard for a bit of extra oomph ( 22-25 deg). The Wurzels has gone into overdrive but not a bubble from the Atomic lemon. This is day 2 of the Fermentation. Any thoughts as to why the fermentation on the Atomic lemon has not kicked in yet - should I watch it for another couple days or chuck some more cider yeast in it ?

thanks for your help in advance.

Latest posts

Back