ASDA Supply Rose

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just used:

3l 100% White grape juice not from concentrate
0.5l 100% RED grape juice not from concentrate
1l 100% Apple juice from concentrate
1tsp citric acid
1tsp tartic acid
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
1tsp wine yeast

OG: 1.062

Added 350g Sugar

OG: 1.088

Mixed it all up and its in an FV at the moment.

Going to see if this makes a nice rose!

Came to about £5 in total.

Fingers crossed :party:

i like your style crE, i'm sure you're gonna hit on a belter of an easy brew with the amount of experimenting you are doing!

A couple of thoughts about colour, sorry if you know this and its obvious!
1: if keeping the colour in your rose is important to you then getting hold of a dark glass demijohn for secondary and conditioning will improve your chances. Red colours tend to be unstable when exposed to light, tho the red in grapes may be more stable reds from other fruits/veg. If you can't find dark glass then wrapping it up in teatowels or brown paper will do the job too. ........ belt and bracers .... keep it in a dark place too.
2: The longer the skins of red grapes are kept in contact with a brew the more colour they impart. So white wine can be made from red grapes if you get the skins out pronto, rose - get skins out soonish, reds - leave them in longer. I would guess that most of the colour in a red grape juice will quickly go so you could probably make a rose from only red grape juice?? Where i get unsure about this is when it comes to kit wines. i guess the juice in kits is prepared with a colourful product in mind, whereas for a drinking juice its not a consideration.

Personally i don't mind if my wines lose their colour, but it is a wonderful bonus if they keep it

Thanks for the tips perci!

It's a bit darker than a rose should look at the moment, so what I'll do when its in the demi is see what happens to the colour - if it starts to fade I'll wait until it gets to the desired colour and then wrap it in a towel or brown paper like you suggest until I bottled it.

The bottles will be kept in my outhouse so theres no chance of any light getting to the bottles.

If this makes a nice rose then I'll definatly be doing it again!

Have you never been tempted to buy grape juices or other juices and brew a wine like that? It's cheap and you may find out it makes a nice wine!

i am tempted crE, but i think i'll probably wait to see how your results come out. I have no doubt that they'll taste fine, maybe the first run will inform how to make a good'un if it doesn't work, but results should soon flow in i reckon.

the most tempting one for me atm is the TC, and i'm considering doing a very big one so that i can take some out for cider and then ferment the rest up to a wine strength with some wine yeast, possibly even a sparkling apple champagne thingamujig with champagne yeast. is that what 'pomagne' was? apple champagne ... like pomme - french for apple?

Back