Boxes for Bottle Storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strongarm

Brewing on a wing and a prayer
Reaction score
I'm only 4 brews in and the wife is already annoyed with the number of bottles.

Has anyone found any plastic crates/boxes particularly well suited for 500ml bottles? Stackable and good height and fit? Nice and cheap? I'd guess vertical sides (rather than sloping) would be happy to hold bottles snuggly.

If so where did you buy them?

I've been thinking about this recently, and there's a business near me that regularly gives away wooden pallets for free. Wouldn't take much to knock up a few boxes from some pallets and a bag of nails/screws. I think I might try it out when I have a spare day.

You have to be careful as bottles full of beer are heavy, I've had a few plastic crates break under the load. Now using "Really Useful" branded 35L boxes, which seem man enough for the job as they have reinforced bases: each one holds about 20 bottles.

Mine are stored in the garage, probably need some extra support:
stash_small_zps1b312e96.jpg

I also think homemade would be pretty cool and that pallet wood should be good (and cheap) stuff.

With a toddler, a baby and a house that needs doing up, time enough to brew is hard to find, let alone time for brew related carpentry projects.

GA posted some plans for making wooden crates on here a while back. I made a few and they're pretty good. I'll see if I can find the link...

I had the same problem but with the moaning over the stored empties instead so I bought this a few of these FastRack, very handy and don't take up much space instead of the plastic bags full of bottles all over the place. I don't have a problem with the full bottles as I keep them in my cellar.

I have a load of really useful boxes. Nice and strong, usefull for other things also. I like the fact the boxed keep the bottles clean

B&Q are selling blue boxes online for £7 each.

What you need to do is go and see your local Independent greengrocer. During the summer, broccoli comes in polystyrene boxes, ice packed with lids. These a absolutely what you need to store beer, for so many reasons...or if you live near B`ham Ive got at least 20 you can have.

Latest posts

Back