Combning brewing ingredients

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krispn

Regular.
Reaction score
I've recently made my first batch, Cooper Irish Stout and I and my mates have been quite happy with the results (a little too carbonated for my tastes so a slight adjustment in my next batch is req.)

While I enjoyed the kit would there be much value in buying a speciality yeast such as White labs etc for future brews? I know the quality of beer kits is pretty good and I've got my eye in the American Beers APA kit as a next brew with the Classic Cru from Brewferm following closely behind.

Basically if I'm spending £22 on a beer kit would using a Wyeat or White Labs yeast make that much of a diffrence?

I'm eager to make the best brew I can for the budget I have and I could happily not have two pints in the bar if the money invested into the yeast would make a big difference.

Thanks in advance for your candor :)

I would say go for it though. Try and see. You have a really great basis for a controlled experiment as one should expect consistency from the kit. You will be in a great position to understand different yeast strains if you want to formulate your own recipes. Many say liquid yeasts are better than dry. Potentially you can get fresher yeasts than the one with the kit. Just make sure to follow the pitching instructions. I am sure many posters will recommend a yeast starter or at least rehydrating yeast. The different yeasts will add different character to beers. Ultimately, it will be a matter of taste.

Depends what your budget is? LOL
Coopers do make some good kits but a change of yeast would make a difference for not that much more cash. That said the Brewferm kits are really good, but more expensive and need ageing to get the best out of them. To be honest a Stout will get better with up to a years aging (can you wait).

If money/time is no object then an AG setup will allow you to make all kinds of changes to your brew.

Hey lads thanks for the opinions

I firmly believe that 'a good yeast' will make a difference and initially i wanted to go with a white labs yeast to add to the kit having read a passage in "How To Brew" which basically said to "never use the yeast with your kit" especially if it was nearly at its use by date. I feel I can afford £8 on a yeast which will ultimately have a positive impact on my fianl product

The guy in the brewstore advised I make the kits and then remake it with an alternative yeast and note the difference and to be fair he could have just sold me it and be done with it but I though that by adding a 'better' yeast I'd have potentially a better brew and more likely to return?

My Brewferm kit will be made as is but my APA will have the addition of a White Labs yeast as I wanna put my own stamp on things and I may dry hop too. I may well go AG in the future if I can find some kit at a good price but for now I'm gonna enjoy laying down some belgian beer for the winter and get me some Sierra Nevada styling on the go!

Cheers!

Back