Have I created nuclear fission during initial fermentation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopping_Mad

Regular.
Reaction score
I have no idea why I added yeast nutrient along with the kit yeast to my second batch of Coopers dark ale, especially as the first lot I did was pretty vigorous without any help! I guess I just wanted to give the little blight eras a good start in life.

I must say I made sure the wort was really well aerated on Saturday prior to pitching the dry kit yeast. Not much was happening until yesterday evening, and when I checked before going to bed I was pleased to see some healthy air lock action, and a temp of 18/20 C before going to bed.

When I woke up this morning I didn't know whether to come on here for advice of cal bloody Red Adair (...is he still alive?). Forget froth in the air lock - the whole bloody lid had turned inside out at the edge and was completely away from the rim of the FV! Must have been mental in the night!:-o Fortunately, I keep the FV on a few layers of newspaper in the cupboard under the stairs! :doh:

I cleaned the air lock, turned the lid back in, brushed off the dried froth and stuck it back on. :oops:

No signs of activity since and I thing the yeast may have shot it's bolt.:pray: I'm waiting until tomorrow to take a gravity reading and see what's what, but I'm worried what temperature it got to, what off flavours I might end up with and, if the original yeast is done for, whether to pitch some more (I'm at least sensible enough to have spares!:whistle:).

I'm waiting for somebody to go all 'Michael Caine' on me (*adopts cockney accent*) - "You were only supposed to bubble the bloody air lock!" :nono:

Latest posts

Back