Belle saison by danster

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used this yeast before. Got it for my saison. I have read that when fermenting some saisons you raise the temperature after a few days. I have read up on this yeast and it doesn't mention doing this. Any suggestions?

Has anyone used this yeast before. Got it for my saison. I have read that when fermenting some saisons you raise the temperature after a few days. I have read up on this yeast and it doesn't mention doing this. Any suggestions?

I've used it with really good results for a saison. I started at 18 and then ramped it up a degree at a time when the fermentation slowed. Stopped at 21 as it wasn't bubbling any more.

You get cloves as the first taste and then a light banana after taste. I like it.

I've read that the higher you ferment, the stronger the clove and banana which is why I was cautious for my first brew. The next one I'm going to ramp it higher and faster to see what it's like.

I've used it with really good results for a saison. I started at 18 and then ramped it up a degree at a time when the fermentation slowed. Stopped at 21 as it wasn't bubbling any more.

You get cloves as the first taste and then a light banana after taste. I like it.

I've read that the higher you ferment, the stronger the clove and banana which is why I was cautious for my first brew. The next one I'm going to ramp it higher and faster to see what it's like.
I'm just drinking one I brewed a couple of months ago. I used Whitelabs saison yeast, not danster, but I stepped it up to 28°c. It tastes gorgeous, and I would definitely recommend a high temperature when fermenting a saison.

I've used it a few times, think it's super for a dried yeast. I think the idea of saisons yeasts needing a high temp comes from the Dupont strain which can be a bit lethargic and raising the temp can help it finish, as well as increasing ester production. I've used that one too and I believe they are different strains. I let Belle Saison free rise to about 22℃ and it finished very low gravity, with the typical saison ester profile.

I'm just drinking one I brewed a couple of months ago. I used Whitelabs saison yeast, not danster, but I stepped it up to 28°c. It tastes gorgeous, and I would definitely recommend a high temperature when fermenting a saison.

MM with that sort of temp could this be used as a hot weather yeast during the summer? I used Mauribrew 514 and Mangrove Jacks Workhorse through July and August and had no problem with the FV going up as high as 29c at one point. The only thing I found was that the beer didn't clear as is usually does and I put this down to the night time temps not dropping sufficiently when I had the beers in the shed.

I don't see why not, but beware the flavour!! It definitely has that that Belgian twang....lovely as it is it might not suit every beer.

Thanks guys. I plan to do a water bath, I usually put heater straight in fv. Will raise temp as it goes along. Will wait 4 days then do it

Dug out my fermentation log :-

Pitched at 18 (1051 OG)
Day 2 increased to 20
Day 5 increased to 21
Day 8 increased to 22
Day 9 cold crashed to 3. 1005 FG.

Using Belle saison at th moment. Similar sort of experience. 1.006 after 10 days but hit 1.004 after 13 days. On 20 days nw, must get around to bottling :(

I used a dry saison yeast... think mine was Jack Mangrove.. Nice, certainly has that belgian twang but I have to admit I think I will 100% go liquid yeast next time I do this style..

Latest posts

Back