'Simply' gluten free pale ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gone with the wheat kits are made with only sorghum. I sampled their bitter and to me it tasted sour and un- beer like, but it might just be me...

Maybe I'll get brave and try some Clarex in a partial mash to add to a can or two of certified extract.

I did one of these kits for a mate last year ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I3DWVG2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

... and it looks like I ran into the same problems that you experienced. i.e.:

o It took ages to get going (I had to add another packet of yeast.)

o It took ages to ferment out to the required FG.

o It took ages to carbonate and clear after bottling. (Over ten weeks if my memory is correct.)

o It tasted fine when it finally cleared.

o After six months the beer taste had faded considerably and it tasted "weak".

I wish you well and advise that you drink it quickly! :thumb:

Hi Dutto,

Yes, to look at you'd think it hasn't done a thing, but the readings are down after ten days so hops are in. Advice on time it keeps noted!
Steve

Ps thanks for the welcome earlier this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Into pressure barrell yesterday. The added hops certainly balanced the sweetness found on last taster. Hoping it will now meld nicely over the coming weeks.
Steve

Into pressure barrell yesterday. The added hops certainly balanced the sweetness found on last taster. Hoping it will now meld nicely over the coming weeks.
Steve

It will be interesting to hear what you think of it. I added 50g of Fuggles pellets to my second batch last night. Hope to bottle next weekend.

Had a little "health check" taste last night (no sanitizer or manky tastes in the barrel which is good) Pretty promising. I mainly got this on for my girlfriend who has the gluten issues. Having tried a few bottled offerings from the shops (mixed to say the least) this seems up there. May have to rack off a few bottles worth to see how it goes that way too. Will update again in due course.

It will be interesting to hear what you think of it. I added 50g of Fuggles pellets to my second batch last night. Hope to bottle next weekend.

Hi OP.
I ended up bottling the lot out of the keg. Opened one last night for OH and was pretty impressed. Would have been pleased if it was a normal ale kit so for a GF kit, more so. Will be brewing it again. How did it turn out with the fuggles?

Last edited:
I tried one last night. I really enjoyed the extra hop and there was definitely more flavour from brewing it short. I am not sure the brown sugar added anything except a slightly darker colour. All round it was good and I'll be starting another batch this weekend.

h1GlR3ml.jpg

Looks good. Much the same slightly darker than expected colour here using a mish mash of sugar including brown. The Citra/cascade mix add a bit of zing for sure, but even without i think it would still be better than Greene Kings GF IPA. (that said, the GF ipa is nicer than their regular ipa!?) Now I just have to leave it alone for my OH to drink... Have done a Simply Yorkshire bitter with bramling cross shorted to 20L for myself, and its pretty good 4 weeks after setting it going. Well done Simply!:thumb:

On the general subject of GF beer- The Hepworth brewery here in Sussex do a few bottled ales and a couple of lagers which as a result of their filtering process are "naturally" GF. A colleague at work is a very sensitive celiac, and survives almost solely (beer wise) on their blonde lager.

Last edited:
Bottled batch number 3 at the weekend. The first batch has matured really nice now and is very smooth; shame there are only four bottles left. I've got another one to make so hopefully I'll be able to build up a bit of a stock.

Still on first batch here. Shared a bottle of it last night after trying a couple of regular store bought pale ales, and it stands up pretty well. Blindfolded i reckon I would have had a job to tell which was gluten free or even which was homebrew! Will definitely be keeping a supply on the go.

Indeed! Think will stick to the Simply with some CML yeast & hops. That said- good to see an increase in options.

Although this is an old post I’d be interested to hear if you are still brewing the Gluten free pale ale
I’ve just got into home brew and also gluten intolerant ,thankfully not Coeliac!
I’ve just bottled a small batch of the simply kit ,I had a sneaky taste and tastes good ,doesn’t appear to be any off tasting twangs to it , I was trying to gauge the colour but I cannot find anything to gauge it with
I will leave it in the brew chamber at 20 degrees for a couple of weeks and see how it turns out

Martin, in case you didn't see it earlier, Clarity Ferm will knock out the gluten in any beer so you can brew what they hell you like and use it.

Yes I was going to give this ago next , I needed to get my first brew out of the way first to build my confidence
I am a fan of IPA so will try an AG with Clarity Ferm ,I have heard it can slow the fermentation process though

I'm brewing one of these Ritchies GF at the moment as a 22 litre batch. Does anyone have ABV information on what their finished beer was? It doesn't give any info on the instructions.

According to my hydrometer after 2 days in the FV I'm at around 2.3%

I believe you can make lager style and light ales with just rice and corn flakes etc. If you like that type of beer give them a try I use cooked rice and corn flakes in my pseudo lagers with good effect

I'm brewing one of these Ritchies GF at the moment as a 22 litre batch. Does anyone have ABV information on what their finished beer was? It doesn't give any info on the instructions.

According to my hydrometer after 2 days in the FV I'm at around 2.3%

John hi
I may get corrected here but I read it is OG -FG x 131 = abv with this Calc mine came out at 4.89%

Back