Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > Woodford Pure Gold

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 28-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #1
Tanzanite

Liked 404 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 347

Default Woodford Pure Gold

Bure Gold is Woodfords latest addition to there excellent range. Very appealing packaging, inciting the mists over Norfolks river Bure. Two tin kit with yeast and two very small 20g packets of Hops, to be added after 4 days fermenting, So off i went, made up the kit and used the crossmyloof ale yeast. Made to 20ltrs. Fermentation took around 9 days left in FV for 14, then racked into bottling bucket let settle for 4 days , then bottled, Theres nothing Gold about it so far it looks like opaque lemon juice whitish. Tastes indiscriminate and weak no great character. So we will up date review in early August when its conditioned. Dont have no great hopes for this but we will see.

Old 28-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
Clint

Liked 1119 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 267

....what?! You didn't use the kit yeast?

Old 29-05-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
Tanzanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
....what?! You didn't use the kit yeast?
No didnt want to risk it sticking (the woodfords kits are famous for it), but in hind sight with the hot weather we have had it might of been ok

Old 01-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
DarkHorse

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I started this last night, have to agree on the colour, doesn't look appetising! Brewed mine to 20 litres and put it in the brew fridge at 20c. Couldn't for the life of me see when to add the hops so i think I'll give it a week and chuck them in. Sample tasted ok and lhbs recommended kegging which suits me, hopefully we'll still have some sun to sup it in a few weeks!

Drinking: Whatever I can lay my hands on

Conditioning: Damn you conditioning, why do you tease me so

Brewing: Beer (hopefully)

Planning: More beer (hopefully better than the last)

Old 01-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
Tanzanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
I started this last night, have to agree on the colour, doesn't look appetising! Brewed mine to 20 litres and put it in the brew fridge at 20c. Couldn't for the life of me see when to add the hops so i think I'll give it a week and chuck them in. Sample tasted ok and lhbs recommended kegging which suits me, hopefully we'll still have some sun to sup it in a few weeks!
Add Hops 4 days into fermentation
DarkHorse Likes This 
Old 26-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #6
DarkHorse

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Well, i kegged this yesterday at an fg of 1008. Still pretty murky looking but i think thats the debris from the hop pellets. Sample tasted ok, almost floral. Hopefully it'll turn out to be a nice mid summer drink.

Drinking: Whatever I can lay my hands on

Conditioning: Damn you conditioning, why do you tease me so

Brewing: Beer (hopefully)

Planning: More beer (hopefully better than the last)

Old 06-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #7
DannyM17

I've been to the Broads recently and this was one of my favourite pints there, from memory it wasn't a very clear pint in the pubs I tried it in but still a nice refreshing drink IMHO. Started mine today(only my second brew), starting hydro reading was 1.040, be interested to know what everyone else's started out at, and if anyone has a finished pint how it's tasting?

Old 09-08-2017, 04:09 PM   #8
darrellm

Liked 475 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyM17 View Post
I've been to the Broads recently and this was one of my favourite pints there
Let us know how the kit turns out. The Wherry kit is nothing like the Wherry in pubs, at least to my tastebuds - still a good brew though. Wonder how this one compares?

Old 14-10-2017, 04:53 AM   #9
DrPips

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How did you get on with this in the end?

Old 08-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #10
DannyM17

I bottled 26 pints and put the rest in a half keg, 2 weeks primary and 4 weeks conditioning.
Bottles turned out ok for me, left it until 4 weeks before trying it, gave a few bottles out at 6 weeks to friends and they liked it, all said it had a citrusy taste, clean and easy to drink and would like some more so I’m putting another on soon.
The half keg tasted ok but flat, first 3 pints came out ok with a good head but lost pressure after that, next brew I’m going to fill the half keg and bottle the rest to see if that helps before buying a CO cap for it.
Colour turned out golden, a little cloudy to start, cleared up completely by week 6, a good drink in my humble opinion but not as good as the Wherry.