A right Barney

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Ne

Reaction score
Was in Morrisons and picked up my usual yellow Golden Virginia and rolled up when i got home, wow, it was vile and tasted like crushed polo mints, my wife who doesnt smoke remarked it smelt awfull, so off i went back to the store and asked to speak to the manager, he summed up the situation and said that as there was nothing wrong with the product he could not give me an exchange or a refund, i tried to explain that it was like buying a bottle of red only to find that it was white but that didnt cut it with him, so i told him i will never set foot in any branch of Morrisons again, i even told him his outfit would lose hundreds per month but he wasnt bothered. On the way home i called in to my local spar but the backy was £3=39 and yes you guessed it, i only had £3-20 in my pocket, by this time i fancied going back to Morrisons and punch the managers lites out, i have e mailed Morrisons and Imperial tobacco so await to see what happens, rant over, for now, Dave NE

prolix said:
give it a couple of hours and you will smoke ought! :lol:
Want to buy a pack of backy for a tenner, about 3 1/2 quid of marked price

:lol:
I wouldn't put up with that from M and I'd be asking for compo :grin: ...seriously...stick to your guns.
We went shopping to Tesco's a few years back and bought tinned pet food amongst our shopping. Got to the check out and everything was covered in maggots :sick:
I asked to see the manager there and then, refusing to pay or pack the food as IMO it had been soiled. He came and told me to come back in half an hour...I refused...so on the spot he had our shopping re-picked and gave us £40 in vouchers for our next shop...proper service :cool:

My sister was a manager for Sainsbury's, she said having maggots due to pet food tin failure/heavy handling wasn't uncommon :shock: :sick:

Dont worry vossy1, e mails have been sent and comfermation is in my in box, the sad thing is we have shopped there for years and they are the only one of the big suppers who do not sell hallal meat so i might have to go veggie from now on, what a stupid response to a £13+ purchase, to lose hundreds of pounds a month but that is in my nature and once done its done, there are 2 chinese takaways and a local off licence in the village which i have not used for years due to such atitudes, Dave

It's very odd that the tobacco would pick up smells like that......the packet should be sealed with cellophane or the contents would dry to dust.

I fell out with Morrisons a few years ago when they refused to sort out an issue I had with fresh produce..........I've not set foot in there since.

I hate the big supermarkets with a passion and try and shop locally for everything I can.
The thing I despise most about them is their 90 day payment terms for suppliers......90 days and they are taking cash for everything the moment it leaves the shelf......taking the Fosters if you ask me.

Grrrrrrr, rant over.

Hi all and thanks for the replies, well at last i have heard from Morrisons and they stand by their decision, just because i dont like the taste of the tobbaco is no cause to refund my purchase price even though i have told them there is something wrong with the product. I mperial tobbaco were straight on the case and asked me to send the pouch for testing which i have done today, they state they will replace the faulty product and re-emburse the postage costs, such a difference to Morrisons attitude.
I cannot understand the mentality of a supplier who thinks they can supply goods not fit for purpose and renage on their side of the transaction, if Morrisons was my business i would be horrified that such pracitices were going on and that has to be my next move, to try and contact the higher eschelons of Morrisons, to lose hundreds of pounds per month over a £13+ transaction is absured, Dave NE

think you need to see the martin lewis site and get the info on sale of goods act
cos that attitude is wrong
if imperial tabaco giv eyou a refund exchange take the letter to the manager and tell them they failed and you wil be contacting trading standards as they faile dto honour the sale of goods act 1979 as it wasnt fit for purpose ( you couldnt smoke it)
then contact your local council and tell them about it they will help you take this matter much higher if you want to .
also shame them in the local papers that will hurt them for thier mistreatment

apart from the fact you're smoking GV...amber leaf all the way
I have no prblem with amber leaf, its a good smoke but one of the bigger issues is there is so much **** comiging into the coutnry that you have to buy legal backy with high taxzes to make sure we are safe Dave

Jesus 13+ for a pouch? i'm presuming thats either 35g or a 50g one? Sorry dunno not been back for years. I pay 25TL for 1KG here thats 8.62 GBP admittedly its the cheapest but nothing wrong with it and i have been smoking it for about 12 months now. Thats another reason i left UK notwithstanding the bloody attitude of the big supermarkets ripping everyone off too.
I too would shout from the highest rooftops too and name and shame them everywhere i could cheeky barstewards they dont give a toss once they have your money.

Must say though its a con here too these days as the government cant get anyone here to pay propper taxes so they tax everything the common man cant do without - so fags booze and petrol just gone up 20-25% here and thats after all the retailers sneakily whacked up their prices 2 months ago knowing what was going to happen. :shock:
Good luck m8 :cheers:

just posted an e mail to Loblaws who own Morrisons and asked about their attitude problems, i will be interested in what they have to say. Trading standars were not much help but they did give me the name of the ceo Dalton Philips but i cannot find a direct No to contact him, will keep you posted, cheers Dave

Is it possible to grow your own?

Thats a terrible response from a retailer. Even when the customer is wrong I give them their money back, then hope they'll leave, has only happened once in eight years when a woman brought back her carot cake, tripped over her handbag and ended up throwing it over me and the counter. Well you can imagine what the customers thought, hard not to laugh. I gave her a full refund on all her food and drink, there was nothing wrong with the cake. She still sat and grumbled, probably embaraased by her cakey contortions. Good service goes hand in hand with good product. Looks like Moggies miss on both counts.

micmacmoc said:

Thats a terrible response from a retailer. Even when the customer is wrong I give them their money back, then hope they'll leave, has only happened once in eight years when a woman brought back her carot cake, tripped over her handbag and ended up throwing it over me and the counter. Well you can imagine what the customers thought, hard not to laugh. I gave her a full refund on all her food and drink, there was nothing wrong with the cake. She still sat and grumbled, probably embaraased by her cakey contortions. Good service goes hand in hand with good product. Looks like Moggies miss on both counts.

I haven't done it myself, but it seems that you can grown your own, so I have been following the below thread with interest. It's a link to the Selfsufficientish website. People have been having a go off it on there for a while, but not sure what the results were for this year. Maybe they are still curing/drying it! I am constantly trying to give up, so not sure the wife would be too happy with me growing it. She already puts up with a good bit, so maybe wise not to push it. I think brewers are a resourceful bunch, so I'm sure someone might be tempted to have a go off it. Let us know how you get on, if you do.

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... =1&t=20972

Just an update, Imperial tobacco sent me 4 x 25g pouches yesterday and 6 1st class stamps to cover postage, cheers Dave NE

Taf said:
micmacmoc said:

I haven't done it myself, but it seems that you can grown your own, so I have been following the below thread with interest. It's a link to the Selfsufficientish website. People have been having a go off it on there for a while, but not sure what the results were for this year. Maybe they are still curing/drying it! I am constantly trying to give up, so not sure the wife would be too happy with me growing it. She already puts up with a good bit, so maybe wise not to push it. I think brewers are a resourceful bunch, so I'm sure someone might be tempted to have a go off it. Let us know how you get on, if you do.

http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... =1&t=20972

Must have a llok at that forum - i got some golden virginia seeds a while back and nothing happened i couldnt get them to sprout, but my turk m8 reckons its easy to do?

Latest posts

Back