Adding Flaked Wheat or Flaked oats

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will you not have to ajust your liquer volume to allow for losses to the extra grain?

Wheat malt is better than torrified wheat. If you use flaked oats you will need to do a glucan rest which is basically a mini mash with 20% of the weight of the oats in pale malt mashed for 20 mins at 35-40c then you add the whole lot to the main mash. This is known as a glucan rest and is important.

As i said wheat malt is better you just add it to your grain bill in the mash. Torrified wheat has a bit of a shreaded wheat taste :sick:

graysalchemy said:
Torrified wheat has a bit of a shreaded wheat taste :sick:

I like the nice wheaty note it gives dunno why maybe coz ive never used wheat malt only in a hefe when i first started aging

graysalchemy said:
As i said wheat malt is better you just add it to your grain bill in the mash. Torrified wheat has a bit of a shreaded wheat taste :sick:

Cheers! I had put torrified wheat on my shopping list, but I think I'll change that!

How about oat malt versus flaked oats? And how about amounts, for both wheat and oats?

Dennis

dennisdk2000 said:
How about oat malt versus flaked oats? And how about amounts, for both wheat and oats?

Oat malt is made of another oat varieties than ordinary kitchen oat flakes, with lower protein level. This gives clear beer without protein rest during mash. But also malt has higher level of beta glucans, most of it is located in outer grain, which is stripped in the process of making flakes.

Now chose your poison. ;)

zgoda said:
dennisdk2000 said:

Oat malt is made of another oat varieties than ordinary kitchen oat flakes, with lower protein level. This gives clear beer without protein rest during mash. But also malt has higher level of beta glucans, most of it is located in outer grain, which is stripped in the process of making flakes.

Now chose your poison. ;)

I got my oats from the brew shop, so would they be the same as the regular oats you get for porridge or would they be the same variety as used for oat malt? As I understand it, beta glucans is where it's at for a creamier beer - is that right?

graysalchemy said:
I have always used oat flakes as they are easy to toast essential in a stout. :thumb:

I would certain like to try toasted oat flakes in a stout - how about a bit of both? Do you use porridge oats for the Effin Oatmeal Stout?

Dennis

Yes just porridge oats (not the instant)

Just lay them on a tray and toast in an oven move them around so they all get done and don't burn.

:thumb:

Latest posts

Back