Yeast from belgian bottled beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaquiss2005

Reaction score
Popped over to Calais today and picked up several bottles of Belgians, most of which indicate "refermented in bottle" - does this mean I stand a chance of recovering usable yeast from any of these listed below? Not sure what the difference between "refermented in bottle" and "bottle conditioned" is

Beers I picked up
St Bernadus Prior 8
St Bernadus ABT12
Tripel Karmeliet
La Wambrechies
Gavroche
Triple secret des Moines

Hi,

It maybe just something to do with the translation,

OR

Some bottle conditioned beers use a different yeast for the bottle conditioning - maybe that is what is meant-

In which case if you try and recover the yeast, it may not have the characteristics you were hoping for.

Simon.

asd said:
Hi,

It maybe just something to do with the translation,

OR

Some bottle conditioned beers use a different yeast for the bottle conditioning - maybe that is what is meant-

In which case if you try and recover the yeast, it may not have the characteristics you were hoping for.

Simon.

A different yeast for conditioning? - presumably one which ferments at lower temperatures than the primary yeast (which works high in Belgians), so they can condition in cooler storage(?)

morethanworts said:
A different yeast for conditioning? - presumably one which ferments at lower temperatures than the primary yeast (which works high in Belgians), so they can condition in cooler storage(?)

If the finished beer is meant to be fully clear some breweries will use a yeast with high flocculation as the bottling strain so that it really sticks to the bottom of the bottle

Aha. That makes sense. I was also wondering whether they like to keep their primary yeast out of reach of everyone else, by using something else for carbonation.

My supplier mentioned that he has used lager yeast to prime ales, so it keeps going in cooler storage and also clears quicker.

Back