Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > Re: Willco's hoppy copper.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
Brewbob

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: Willco's hoppy copper.

So Wilko kits.... I thought I'd chuck one on quickly as I was in town and had an empty FV that needed filling, so I got the Hoppy Copper, and a bag of brewing sugar, I already had a half bag of Muntons enhancer so I knocked it all up. Looking at my notes I stirred the yeast a bit vigorously, and it clumped together and sank, so I legged it to my LHBS and got some Safale-05 and pitched that instead, OG was 1042, FV was 1008.

I left it in the FV for 2wks, then put it in a secondary to clear, after a week it was crystal, so I primed it with 100g of sugar and put it in a PB.

Its been there now for about 3wks and I've had about a gallon.

I don't find it particularly hoppy, in fact it just tastes like non-descript homebrew. Its not unpleasant, but it is definitely HB. It keeps its head to the bottom, its conditioned nicely, not too fizzy, and it fills a gap. For only £9 it is an acceptable kit, but doubt I'll do it again....
Secondary - Wherry w/ added hops
Drinking - Wherry extra, Oaked Rum Ale

2014-Brewed- too much to remember!!

Old 10-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
RobWalker

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

^ this.

i actually thought it was quite bad, more like a cheap coloured lager kit. but with a shorter brew and some finishing hops it could easily be a cracker

Old 12-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
eddie66

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have just done this as my last can brew and brewed with 75% light spraymalt 25% brewing sugar then added 35g of dried elderflowers after 6 days. Still in the fv but had a small taste yesterday a the elderflowers have come through well so hopefully it will be a nice light summer ale. It came out at 3.6%.

Brewing :- Hoppy copper bitter & Extract Boddingtons
Conditioning :- Wilco Sweet newkie brown, Wilco Pear cider.
Drinking :- Wilco Cerveza, Wilco golden ale, wilco apple cider.

Old 19-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
Brewbob

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I've just been away for 10 days and had my Hoppy Copper sitting in the PB. So the obvious thing after a 3.5hr drive back was to sample some to see if it had improved. It hadn't, it is OK and I'll drink it, but I'll definitely not do another. If I'm sticking to kits I think its going to be 2 cans, Woodfords, Festival, St Peters.

It just has that HB twang to it. In the meantime I had bottled my Festival Golden Stag and had it in the kitchen conditioning. I gave it a taste comparison and its basically blown my socks off!! The hoppiness really comes through and I honestly don't think I can buy better, especially in bottles, but even in pubs to be honest. I've just put it in the garage to chill and clear, can't wait!!!
Secondary - Wherry w/ added hops
Drinking - Wherry extra, Oaked Rum Ale

2014-Brewed- too much to remember!!

Old 24-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
Kinleycat

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The name suggests this is a hoppy bitter, is the general consensus that it isn't and requires additional hops?
I ask as i have a hoppy copper kit and a bag of styrian goldings sitting idle.
Is it worth dry hopping or making a hop tea?

Old 24-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
tricky_dicky

It's not hoppy at all from the one I made, so would suggest a hop tea and some dry hops are needed. It's the most disapponting of all the £10 Wilko's Kits - which in general are actually pretty good.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
geordiesaint

I am supping bottle of this at the moment. Brewed as per the instructions using wilkos brewing sugar. Been conditioning in the bottles for about a week. Its cleared but a bit young. Can't see this one getting much better though. Its drinkable but not a patch on my St Peters golden ales I have in the keg and is not as good as the geordie one can kits which get quite a bad review on here but I actually quite like them. Not a great deal of taste but not unpleasant. Probably wont do this one again, although it is ok to drink - would rather invest the time and money into something else.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
redhousebrewing

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Early days for mine but tried a bottle after 2 weeks conditioning - beautifully clear, well carbonated, but tasted very average and not hoppy. Hopefully it will improve with time but next time I'd go up from 500g enhancer + 1 kg sugar and also try dry hopping so it might live up to its name.

Stuart
Barrel: Festival Golden Stag
Bottles: Razorback IPA, Wilko Pilsner with S-23 & Saaz hops, Wherry with citra hops, Ultimate Brewery Classics Czech Pils Beer Kit, Santa's Sleigh Ride, Wilko Pilsner
Beer brewed: 2013:80gal; 2014:55 gal

Old 13-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
fbsf

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If any of them have the HB Twang, then time in the bottles (6-8weeks) should help. But nothing will help a lack of flavour other than dry hopping or a hop tea when bottling.

Old 13-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Kinleycat

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Put this on last night, standard issue 1Kg fermentables, two tspns yeast nutrient and will dry hop with Styrian Goldings for last four days of primary fermentation.
Open to offers of how much to use, never dry hopped before.