Coopers Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawsondsr

Reaction score
my kit should be arriving tomorow.

I have read through the process required with this kit and have a query regarding the krausen sleeve.

The destructions say to remove the sleeve after 4 days or so and then replace the lid and leave for a few more.

say i did not remove the sleeve and just left it till it had finished fermenting, what difference would this make?
say i did not use the sleeve at all and just the lid for the whole fermenting time, what difference would this make?

I'll be doing the standard lager that comes with the kit.
ferment in kitchen or garage?
condition in kitchen or garage?

thanks.

The sleeve allows the built up gasses to escape. Without it the lid might blow off (bringing a mess with it) but most fermenters dont have a sleeve so it shouldnt cause any other problems leaving it in or out. More experienced brewers might tell you the advantages of removing it or leaving it

Hi, removing the sleeve will take out a lot of the krausen ring. Which other wise might land up in your brew.

Regards

Alan :cheers:

rawsondsr said:
my kit should be arriving tomorow.

I have read through the process required with this kit and have a query regarding the krausen sleeve.

The destructions say to remove the sleeve after 4 days or so and then replace the lid and leave for a few more.

say i did not remove the sleeve and just left it till it had finished fermenting, what difference would this make?
say i did not use the sleeve at all and just the lid for the whole fermenting time, what difference would this make?

I'll be doing the standard lager that comes with the kit.
ferment in kitchen or garage?
condition in kitchen or garage?

thanks.

a) Having used this kit a few times, it's good to have it on as it extends the volume of the FV, meaning that should you get a vigorous ferment, then the foam isn't going to find it's way out of the FV. It's optional to use it, I guess, but something I have used (and will continue to do) until I feel that it's not worth using it anymore and its just something else to santise..

b) I'd ferment in the garage.

:thumb:

Hi, and welcome.

I've got the coopers set up too, I don't bother removing the krausen collar cuz I cant be arsed to wash it until it's time to wash the FV after bottling. Doesnt seem to make a difference - Might get a bit of krausen floating in the beer but it just settles in the bottom of the bottles with the rest of the sediment.

I notice you have got the Lager kit coming,I'm not a lager man, hate the stuff, but I've read on the coopers forum that the coopers lager has got ale yeast in with the kit so you'll end up with a pale ale unless you buy a lager yeast.

Brew in the garage - ale needs 18-21 degree but lager needs a lower temp -the lager brewers will be able to tell you exactly what.

No this kit comes with a standard lager kit that has an Ale yeast. If you use the standard yeast ferment between 18-21 deg but if you swap it out with a lager yeast aim for 10-13deg. I have done this kit with the Ale yeast and it was quite good. I recently done it again with some Saflager S-23 lager yeast but I've yet to try it, I'm keen as! It's currently bottled :) good luck!

I did the larger that came with the diy beer kit, its turned out very drinkable, as it is my first brew kit i dont have owt to compare it with though :D

You should use the Krausen ring when fermenting.
Its part of the system youve paid for
it extends the height of the fermenter for vigorous ferments
It allows you remove the crud formed around the ring after fermentation ( instead of it sticking and being a source of infection ) Its taken off and the clean lid fixed into place. The ring can then be cleaned ready for next time.

When you once get a vigorous ferment and the froth builds up, you will be glad of it, especially if your fermenter is stood on the wifes pride and joy living room carpet...

I have the same tackle and leaving the ring in or taking it out makes hardly any difference. The most important thing is to leave it fermenting for longer and soon as you bottle get another brew on!

Latest posts

Back