Bri's first batches

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,
Suppose it was about time I pulled my finger out and started my thread on how I'm progressing.
Not done home brewing for nearly 25 years so I have spent my time researching up on the art and of course spending a few £'s on the way.
I've got to say 25 years ago it wasn't as hectic as it is now prob due to interweb accessibility.
22/10/13 My first batch was a extract kit Black Rock Nut brown Ale.
To say I flapped on getting the temp down b4 pitching the yeast is an understatement..but slowly with the I merged in cold water got it down to 20•C and pitched the yeast and got her settled in room temp!
23/10/13 Now having the big and all my kit arriving at the same time hit my next batch of Wilko's Golden Ale.
Feeling a lot confident and just took it easy with the water temp got it down to 20•C and pitched the yeast.
I was happy after reading that the wort temp would be higher than room temp got both batches sitting at 20•c after a flap on with the radiator controls.
I am going to bottle both batches in 500ml bottles, even though I've had the urge to keg...slow down Bri !
Got my fermenting chiller started in the form of a medium chest freezer got a small greenhouse heater and waiting for a completed stc1000..fingers crossed ill get that sorted.
As all that researching on AG brewing started to take its toll I couldn't resist and bought Fil's setup from this forum (top bloke see ya soon m8)
Looking forward to having him take me through the setup...but no doubt my tiny Geordie brain will go into info overload and ill end up ringing him on simple tasks lo
After having experience around the world visiting some fantastic breweries it was only right I have it a go :-)
It's school hols so unfortunately homebrew time is limited.
So I will stop boring you with my woffle.
Hoping to hear from any fellow members from the North East especially Northumberland on tips setups and especially good AG suppliers.
Have a good weekend to all.
ATB
Brian

Welcome brian from a fellow Brian

You will soon be turning out beer like a good un !

piddledribble said:
Welcome brian from a fellow Brian

You will soon be turning out beer like a good un !

Cheers Brian,
It's all down to the advice yous gave me and others as we first join...read read and then read some more on every section and thread going...
I will crawl before I walk and enjoy being taught/guided..it's how I learnt my art of custom knife making slowly and surely.
What you guys know about brewing smashes me away! And it's not a cloak and dagger art no secrets hidden...love of brewing and passing on the knowledge.
The addiction has hit me..I keep looking at my brews as much as I can.. Read the files as much as I can.
For the short term I'm looking forward to seeing my extract batches get on.
Long term drink a few pints extract then it's AG brewing.
ATB
Brian
:-)

A windy wet Sunday and to top it Newcastle United got beat off the Mackems in the Darby :-(
At least I had my wart chiller waiting when we got back today.
Nothing to report on batches 1 & 2 at day 5 & 4.
Now looking into water treatment and a few other bits and bobs
ATB
Bri

28/10/13
the first batches Krausen has collapsed with a thickness of over an inch, and now monitoring it.

batch 2 is bubbling about every minute and a quarter, but its Krausen was only about a 5mm's.

visually if any of you experts can see any problems(apart from me lifting the lid to take pics) please let me know.
its been a week tomorrow for batch 1 & 6 days for batch 2 so iwill leave them another week and then do my checks.
ATB
Brian

Sounds like you've gone and got all obsessed!

Its great itsn't it :thumb:

I was walked through my first all grain brew by a friend, on his kit. My next few brews were also on his kit, but solo.
Write down everything you need to do in order, and with times to do it. Makes for a stress free brew day. I am just cooling my 8th AG brew and I don't even know where my sheet is!

I thought Fil's set up looked good. Its quite big isn't it?

R

Rolfster said:
Sounds like you've gone and got all obsessed!

Its great itsn't it :thumb:

I was walked through my first all grain brew by a friend, on his kit. My next few brews were also on his kit, but solo.
Write down everything you need to do in order, and with times to do it. Makes for a stress free brew day. I am just cooling my 8th AG brew and I don't even know where my sheet is!

I thought Fil's set up looked good. Its quite big isn't it?

R

Obssessed isn't the word for it m8!
i'm loving every minute of it, got another kit in the storeroom just shouting out to get started.
Fil is going to talk me through the setup...so I am going to make sure to take loads of notes and pics.
Great advice on the AG brewing, I am making sure I can crawl before I walk and just enjoying saucing the kit I will need.
I have amassed some man hours researching and looking on utube for the procedures, but my stumbling bloack is getting a local supplier for all the grains & hops but I will get there.
I have numerous threads started as I am a total numpty at water hoses & attachments :doh:
waiting in anticipation on the knock on the door for more items I have bought....pleased its payday on wednesday :shock:
Catch you soon
ATB
Brian

I hafe found that even with a local grain supplier, the malt miller is better value.

I bulk buy, and split it with the friend who showed me the ropes. 2 x 25kg bags of maris otter and then small amounts of different other malts and hops. Even with delivery its a good price and it comes quick too.
They sponser the forum, and Rob who runs it is on here a fair bit.
Just something to consider.....

Just finished the brew for today, and its too big for the fermenter :doh:

Rolfster said:
I hafe found that even with a local grain supplier, the malt miller is better value.

I bulk buy, and split it with the friend who showed me the ropes. 2 x 25kg bags of maris otter and then small amounts of different other malts and hops. Even with delivery its a good price and it comes quick too.

Thanks R
Now that's great advice, gonna look now as I'm trying to decide what recipe is going to be my first AG brew, something simple even I can manage lol..do u have any suggestions thinking back to your first AG batch?
I have done a recipe that took me ages to tick off all the malts and hops on one online company and it spiralled over £60.
Mind you I am looking at say a 46lt batch for my first ettempt and that fingers crossed will be two of my usual batches in a Oner.
My m8 told me that there's a great shop up here in the north so waiting to get directions etc.
Thx again mate and hope ya brew day was enjoyable...I've got a feeling I will make too much on my first ettempt lol
ATB
Bri

What about one of the 'how to guides' on the board index.
or find a recipe on line and get some brewing software to help you.
I use brewmate. Its free and seems pritty good.
r

Rolfster said:
What about one of the 'how to guides' on the board index.
or find a recipe on line and get some brewing software to help you.
I use brewmate. Its free and seems pritty good.
r

Yeah mate read the how to guides and I have beersmith2 and brew ate.
Looking at an English IPA..
A question for you m8 if you can answer it:
The recipe says 8.8oz caramel/crystal malt 120L, when I've looked on the site it has either Caramel or crystal malt. Does this mean I need half and half, slightly confused or I can chose either of the malts??
Yes m8....I'm hard work lol
ATB
Brian

Rolfster said:

That's what I do now... first few AG brews were grain expensive... last couple of have been grain cheap :)

Jeff Brewjubbly said:
Rolfster said:

That's what I do now... first few AG brews were grain expensive... last couple of have been grain cheap :)

:rofl: hello Jeff,
I've put my order in the basket in Malt Miller for an English IPA but I've got to check for how many ltrs the recipe was for :doh:
ATB
Bri

I guess it would be for 23L. Best thing to do is to ring Rob at the malt miller and talk to him, or you'll end up with your order and it will be half the size you want. :doh:

Thats the problem with good quick service sometimes! :lol:

R

I just looked at the malt miller website and if you ordered Chris's reboot IPA then it will give you enough malt for 80 pints. :thumb:

Rolfster said:
I just looked at the malt miller website and if you ordered Chris's reboot IPA then it will give you enough malt for 80 pints. :thumb:

Cheers R,
Better be safe than sorry :doh:

Looking now after setting up the new tap on my bottling barrel :thumb:
Catchya soon
Bri

What a day for brewing :D
Got my Blackrock 1st batch into my bottling bin along with finings.
The SG has been 1.010 for the last few days.
I will let the batch settle for a couple days with the finings before final prep for bottling.

My first sample run off

Taste is nothing flash no untowards bad tastes etc.
As this was used with normal sugar I'm not sure if 3.9%ABV before bottling is ok...so I will double check in a few days.

This afternoon couldn't resist setting away the last extract kit Youngs Definitive Bitter 23L with Wilko's brewing sugar.
Hit spot on with getting the temp down to 19.5C and pitched the yeast.
Put her on a blowoff pipe for now...think only to have a play using one for the first time.
Now a happy chappy.
As always any observations advice welcome. :cheers:
ATB
Bri

Back