Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > Bulldog Four finger Jack American Pale ale.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 25-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #21
el gringo

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Re: Bulldog Four finger Jack American Pale ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringo
I set this one going on Monday night (10th) and was really impressed with how easy it went together, certainly easier than my previous brews.
Bottled this last night as it's been sat at 1002/3 for 4 days, batch primed with 115g of sugar and ended up with 48 500ml Grolsch bottles of a lovely pale beer. The hop aroma was really nice, fruity even.

OG was around 1048 but i hadn't corrected so was probably nearer 1050 which leaves me with about 6.2% which should be quite nice.

Old 25-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #22
davecullen86

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

[quote=el gringo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "el gringo":16w59qcb
I set this one going on Monday night (10th) and was really impressed with how easy it went together, certainly easier than my previous brews.
Bottled this last night as it's been sat at 1002/3 for 4 days, batch primed with 115g of sugar and ended up with 48 500ml Grolsch bottles of a lovely pale beer. The hop aroma was really nice, fruity even.

OG was around 1048 but i hadn't corrected so was probably nearer 1050 which leaves me with about 6.2% which should be quite nice.[/quote:16w59qcb]

Ill be interested to know what you think when you start drinking it Gringo. Mine turned a bit weird as already mentioned. I got a similar ABV to you too....

Good luck
Wilko Sweet Newkie
Woodfordes Wherry + Citra Dry Hop
Turbo Cider + Citra Dry Hop

In FV: Festival Landlords Finest Bitter
Next: Wilko Sweet Newkie, Wilko Hoppy copper (Yes they have a sale on LOL), Geordie Winter Warmer.

Old 26-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #23
el gringo

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

[quote=davecullen86]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "el gringo":21628xkx

OG was around 1048 but i hadn't corrected so was probably nearer 1050 which leaves me with about 6.2% which should be quite nice.
Ill be interested to know what you think when you start drinking it Gringo. Mine turned a bit weird as already mentioned. I got a similar ABV to you too....

Good luck [/quote:21628xkx]

Thanks, i'm looking forward to it, i tried a drop of the left overs and it tasted very sweet and not quite what i expected (not sure what i was expecting really).

I'm hoping it turns out ok, i think i may have under primed slightly but we shall see. I also tried a new no rinse steriliser rather than my normal routine of using miltion fluid so i hope its worked.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #24
el gringo

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So being my normal impatient self i decided to try a sample for quality control purposes.

1st bottle i had after 1 week - small amount of carbonation, not a lot of head, nice aroma, tasted weird.

2nd bottle - 2 weeks in - great carbonation, good head but disappeared quickly, nice aroma although not as pronounced, still tastes weird

I can't put my finger on it, its got a lovely carbonated 'bite' but it's almost flowery at the moment, sweetish.

I'm not very good at describing aromas/flavours (as you might have guessed) and i know 1 and 2 weeks is too early but i'm interested to see how the beer develops.

Will keep you updated

Old 12-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #25
davecullen86

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

4 and a half weeks in the PB - Not tasted it since a few weeks back so Ill post on Friday when I try a half pint!

Not expecting much change tho, who knows!
Wilko Sweet Newkie

Next: Wilko Sweet Newkie, Wilko Hoppy copper (Yes they have a sale on LOL), Geordie Winter Warmer.

Old 13-03-2014, 11:13 PM   #26
davecullen86

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, I tried it a day early.. All these Homebrew Wednesday vids that get me in the mood!!

Anyways... Its a bit better actually. As it ended up about 6.4% it does taste like a very strong ale to me.

Its lost a bit of that "odd" taste so there is still hope. Im a session ale drinker, so I like it between 3 and 4%, can't see myself drinking this one in a hurry but I'll keep it as long as I need to.

Ill keep this thread updated. To be honest there does not seem to be much activity, possibly this kit isn't that popular?
Wilko Sweet Newkie

Old 14-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #27
el gringo

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds promising Dave

I've stuck another one in the fridge for Sundays test so i'll update when I've tried it

PB'd my Simply Pale on Wednesday and woke up this morning to find it had leaked all over the kitchen floor - i was not popular.
kodak79 Likes This 
Old 14-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #28
norm

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Had this one bottled for 5 weeks now. Tried a couple 2 weeks ago-decided it needed a little bit longer. Tried a couple more yesterday-not much difference.
It has very little head,a few bubbles rising.-Tastes quite pleasant but not like any ale or lager I've ever had. More like alcoholic fruit juice. Is A.P.A. supposed to be like this?

Old 14-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #29
FC101

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm
Had this one bottled for 5 weeks now. Tried a couple 2 weeks ago-decided it needed a little bit longer. Tried a couple more yesterday-not much difference.
It has very little head,a few bubbles rising.-Tastes quite pleasant but not like any ale or lager I've ever had. More like alcoholic fruit juice. Is A.P.A. supposed to be like this?
Tried the first 2 bottles of mine after just a week in the bottles and alcoholic fruit juice about sums up the taste. Not nasty but also not what I had expected. Didn't have enough carbonation at that point either so left it another week in the warm and have now left it in the shed to cool. Admittedly this is my first brew so Ive probably made all sorts of errors along the line. OG was 1048 and after 2 weeks in in FV it had settled at 1003. The hops went in for last two days and I bottled straight from FV which probably explains the bit of sediment in each bottle. Going to (try) to leave the rest for a good bit and hope it improves.

Old 14-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #30
el gringo

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I've stuck another one in the fridge for Sundays test so i'll update when I've tried it
So I didn't wait, had it about an hour ago. Its bittered up quite nicely, still quite fruity, much more drinkable.

Will now try and wait at least another 2/3 weeks

I'm hoping it transforms into a winner