Floating sediment.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John46

Reaction score
Only been making wine for about 3 years, made some decent stuff though, mostly elderberry wine.
Got a batch on the go now that I started in september last year, it looks ok, a nice dark colour, but instead of having all the sediment at the bottom as has been the case in my previous batches, this time there is some floating sediment (for want of a better word).
I have it in glass demijohns, filled right up to the neck, and looking at the wine carefully I can see small bits of floating debris or sedement at the top, not a lot of it, but there its there just floating around near the top of the vessel, and when i pick the demijohn up gently, sediment on the bottom immediately lifts off and floats around, in the past i have only seen a lightish coloured sediment at the bottom, and when the vessel is picked up gently, it lays undisturbed, it didn't float around like it does now.
I have racked this wine once, before i racked it, it was exactly the same as it is now, only more floating sediment, and the inside of the demijohn was clouded up at the top with a film of some sort of material. All these symtoms I'm describing were not there at all when I've made it previously, athough i have used a different recipe, maybe this is the reason why its acting differently.
It tastes and smells OK though, nothing wrong in that department.

This can be caused by fine pulp particles rising to the surface if any pulp fermenting was done. In an open container, it is easily skimmed off with a sieve, but with a dj, racking will be needed to remove it. I found this 'scum' rather bitter to taste, so best removed.

Thanks Tony, I've made quite a few batches in the past 3 years, but never had "stuff" floating in the demijohns.
I might rack it again and see how it looks after that.

I occasionally get floating gunk, once the gas lifts stuff up to the top it can stay there due to surface tension. Sometimes a good shake will make it drop. Other times I'm just careful with the siphon tube when racking time comes along.

I have just started making wine recently, although I've brewed beer for over a decade.
I had something like you describe floating in a batch of crabapple wine.
At first I was afraid it was a bacterial infection, but there was no flavour or aroma taint.
It settled out no problem with finings and the wine turned out crystal clear.

Thanks for your replies.
I just racked the wine last night, only this time I used a funnel and a muslin cloth, as well as the usual syphoning equipment, the muslin cloth seems to have strained all the gunk out of it, it now looks lovely and dark, no floating gunk, tastes good as well.
Cheers chaps.

Just had a look at this wine again and I still have sediment floating about in it, when I pick a demijohn up and hold it up to have a good look at it I can see sediment swirling around, the bottom 1 inch seem to be full of it, I can't work it out I never had this with any of my other batches.
I can only describe it as a mass of tiny particals around the bottom 1 inch of the demijohn, I just shook the demijohn then and turned it upside down and back again a few times and the particles have disappeared.
In my other batches the sediment all settled to the bottom in like a fine whiteish coloured sediment.
This wine smells and tastes fine, noit sure what I should do, just leave it or try and use something to get all these particles to settle to the bottom.

I just want to add that I pick these demijohns up very very carefully yet this sediment just seems to lift off the bottom immediately, its like the slightest touch seems to lift it off the bottom of the demijohn, unlike my other batches where any sediment stayed at the bottom like a sludge.

Latest posts

Back