Nottingham Ale Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wurzel

Reaction score
I have a Woodford's Headcracker barley wine kit and intend using a better yeast than the stuff supplied.

I was thinking of getting some Nottingham Ale Yeast as I understand it gives good attenuation and has a high alcohol tolerance.

I asked my mate Moley about this but he has not used this yeast himself, the question is does it form a nice compact sticky sediment as I will be bottling it and do folks that have used it think it a good choice :?:

Cheers.

During my short AG career I have mainly used SO4 and Nottingham ale yeast.
Both of these I have found to give a nice firm sediment in the bottle/keg.
The SO4 ferments out and settles a little quicker in my experience.

I'm sorry, but I don't know how well either yeast tolerates high abv levels.

ATB

corby_brewer said:
Altho notty is now repackaged as Gervin ale yeast.
If that's right, then I have used it once, I thought it ran S-04 a pretty close second. It hit 1.010 from 1.057 giving 6.4% abv.

I'm not so sure that Gervin ale yeast is Nottingham any more :wha:
It certainly used to be as as it was packaged as Gervin Ale yeast, strain N A :thumb:
But the last time I bought Gervin ale yeast it didn't specify a strain.

Nottingham is a cracking yeast It took my Imperial stout from 1.096 down to 1.021 (10.6%) with very little problems and falls out of suspension really quickly. . . The only downside I have found is that it tends to mask/strip hop character . . . may not be a problem in a stronger beer . . but pale summer ales benefit from a different yeast . . .Windsor or perhaps US05 which I have not used myself . . . something I will be correcting shortly. . . . but US05 brings with it it's own problems . . . Like the fact that it refuses to finish fermenting and flocculate.

All dried yeast should be kept in cold storage . . . if not in the freezer then in the fridge . . . stored in a hot shop they can loose 10% viability a month . . . but why does no retailer take this on board? :evil:

Aleman said:
. . . Like the fact that it refuses to finish fermenting and flocculate.

Hi Aleman
I'm having this problem exactly with S-33. Incredibly fast initial fermentation lasting 2 days only, then racked after 5 days into secondary and now it's fermenting very very slowly and refusing to drop clear. I can leave it another week in the secondary, but any advice as to what to do to stop the fermentation? I really don't care about clarity, it's never worried me (too much).
:cheers:

Tony said:
Aleman said:
. . . Like the fact that it refuses to finish fermenting and flocculate.
I'm having this problem exactly with S-33. <snip> any advice as to what to do to stop the fermentation?
Crash cooling works well . . . Dropping the temperature as fast as possible to around 2C . . . will stop most yeast from fermenting . . . After a few days most of the yeast go to sleep and settle on the bottom . . . Can introduce other issues though . . . such as a chill haze . . . taken care of with Auxiliary finings . . . . and Isinglass a couple of days later takes care of the remaining yeast in suspension.

If you do decide on Nottingham, make sure that the batch number doesn't end in 88V. It's dodgy. There are other dodgy batches around, but that's the one I've had personal unhappy experiences with.

I've still got ten packs I haven't decided what to do with yet :( Don't think it's worth posting them back to Canada.

For future reference,

Batch #1080360088V was the batch I, and others have had a lot of problems with.

Batch #1081140118V was recalled.

You can send back any suspect batch for replacements to

Attn: Marie Coppet
6100 Royalmount
Montreal, QC, Canada
H4P 2R2

(All info shamelessly borrowed from JBK)

Thanks for posting that info jamesb.
I have about half a dozen packs of Notty in the 'fridge at home that I'll check when I get in.
I wonder if this has anything to do with why I'm struggling to get my last batch of 'Landlord' to clear?? :wha:

jamesb said:
For future reference,

Batch #1080360088V was the batch I, and others have had a lot of problems with.

Batch #1081140118V was recalled.

You can send back any suspect batch for replacements to

Attn: Marie Coppet
6100 Royalmount
Montreal, QC, Canada
H4P 2R2

(All info shamelessly borrowed from JBK)

Damn, 5 packs of the stuff with that first batch code.
What sort of problems have you been getting jamesb?
Like I said above, I'm having a job clearing a batch I brewed with a packet of the same batch.

I doubt that getting the brew to clear is anything to do with the issue that's been flagged up, more likely that you'll have a long lag time before it begins fermenting. As it appears yours has fermented I wouldn't worry. And I have 19 packs of that batch to get through, two getting chucked into a brew tomorrow! :)

Back