Devils Backbone American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soton

some random guy
Reaction score
Hi all

I've just got back from a meal at a witherspoons and to complement my meal I had a pint of Devils backbone American IPA , well WOW! talk about citrus flavours, this must of been of been brewed with whole grapefruits, skins and all :shock: if you like a strong citrus bite to your beer I strongly recommend a pint of this, I will say one was enough for me as I prefer more fruit cakey taste to my ales but it sure woke up my taste buds
has anyone here tried it?

Hi all

I've just got back from a meal at a witherspoons and to complement my meal I had a pint of Devils backbone American IPA , well WOW! talk about citrus flavours, this must of been of been brewed with whole grapefruits, skins and all :shock: if you like a strong citrus bite to your beer I strongly recommend a pint of this, I will say one was enough for me as I prefer more fruit cakey taste to my ales but it sure woke up my taste buds
as anyone here tried it?

got to try that then :-D

I normally goto the bengali tiger for my hop hit!

It's a nice pint. It's not quite as amazing as if you try it in the States, they have toned it down a bit. But still a very good pint at an excellent price.

Lovely pint, I used to have the brewdog lager with my meal until they suggested I tried the backbone. Gorgeous stuff:)

Been drinking this for a while in my local WS, I feel it is often served too cold, lager temperatures. I really love how the hops taste in this and hope to make my next brew in a similar vain.

I'll have to look out for this, my 'local' 'spoons is about 15 miles away, but we're getting one 5mins down the road soon. I think their food is ok, given the price. I'd rather one of their burgers than one from McDonalds etc (I realise this doesn't set the bar very high!), plus the added bonus of a pint to go with it.

I'll have to look out for this, my 'local' 'spoons is about 15 miles away, but we're getting one 5mins down the road soon. I think their food is ok, given the price. I'd rather one of their burgers than one from McDonalds etc (I realise this doesn't set the bar very high!), plus the added bonus of a pint to go with it.

don't tell me you've not sampled the delights of their southern fried chicken strips :-D

Been drinking this for a while in my local WS, I feel it is often served too cold, lager temperatures. I really love how the hops taste in this and hope to make my next brew in a similar vain.

I'd agree, I've had it a few times and it's been good but the last time it was ice cold and it ruined it for me. I usually like my beers cold but this was just too cold.

Yeah it's a really nice pint. Taste explosion but couldn't go mad with them but definite thumbs up!

Just had one in our nearest wetherspoons. Not hoppy and citrusy enough for me.

I think I have lupin threshold shift syndrome :hmm:

had a bengali tiger and that normally does the trick, so once home opened an orang-no-tang, Whoa! ah... that's better.

I would have a devils backbone again if out with friends and not wanting to be seen as pretentious with a beer in a tulip glass :razz:

I always get Devils Backbone when I can't think of anything to get, the sixpoint beers are even nicer.

I've found recently that half of wetherspoons stock chimay, though usually the bar staff don't know what it is. I think it cost around £2.50 for an 8-9 % chimay blue, which is great but not something I want to drink every day, It's a bit like the pate of beers, usually I am happy with cheese on toast, but on the odd day I'll go for a bit of goose liver and whatever.

Bengali tiger is great, first time I had devil's backbone was a pleasant experience too, tried it for the first time on my stag do in January (try taking 5 carling drinkers on a real ale and craft beer tour of York :(, not a great time) second time I tried it was at the spoons in darlington and it tasted like watered down urine, really spoiled my impression of it.

If you're in Wetherspoons and want an American IPA, the Bengali Tiger is the best, IMO. Luxury for £1.99.

Latest posts

Back