Windsor packet rock hard, normal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore

Landlord.
Reaction score
I recently took delivery of Safale-05, Nottingham, and Windsor. Two of the packs seem like yeast packs I'm familiar with, i.e. powdery, but the Windsor pack is rock hard. I can hit it against a wall. Is that normal for Windsor?

I just worry that it's taken in water at some point.

Used it today, so can now confirm it was fine; just a very strong vacuum pack.

A quick question while I'm here. Mr Malty yeast calculator asks for 'date of production', but the pack quotes only best before. So my question is, has anyone any idea how long a shelf life Lallemand give their yeast? From that I can work out the date of production.

http://www.lallemandyeast.com/articles/dry-yeast-storage

Looks like 2 years.

Used it today, so can now confirm it was fine; just a very strong vacuum pack.

A quick question while I'm here. Mr Malty yeast calculator asks for 'date of production', but the pack quotes only best before. So my question is, has anyone any idea how long a shelf life Lallemand give their yeast? From that I can work out the date of production.

I must admit, I'm a one pack a day man. I just assume that when I buy the yeast (I don't store any, just get it when I'm about to brew) that it's ok. I'm going to start checking from now on though!

Back