Weyermanns Carafa Special 1 vs Standard Chocolate Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last year I brewed using standard chocolate malt , black malt and roasted barley for my Porters and Scotch Ales. This year I am thinking of swapping the chocolate malt for Carafa Special Type1 and the black malt for Carafa Special Type 2 or 3 in order to benefit from the claimed smoother flavour and less harshness. Has anyone tried them and if so, what flavour differences did you experience???

thanks MyQul, I might experiment and give this a go...never thought of steeping roasted grains in an all grain brewing context. Will buy some of the Carafa special and make some 'tea' with them and taste compared with normal chocolate and black malt

I thought the whole point of the carafa specials was to add colour with minimal flavour, I've heard them describes as 'for colouring for brewing'. Hence they're used in black ipas (often with small amounts of other roasted grains for some flavour)
In which case you won't get anything like the flavour from choc malt. I'm no expert though, just replaying what I've picked up elsewhere.

Thanks everyone, this is really useful feedback. I'll go ahead and buy some but do some experimentation of flavour intensity vs choc/black/roast barley before using in a full scale brew.

Finally got my malt delivery and made some teas to taste...hope the pic uploaded OK. Was comparing carafa special type 1 and 2 with chocolate malt, also checking chateau cafe and special b since I thought they might add to the flavour profile of my next porter. Outcome.... I actually thought the chocolate malt (1000 EBC from the Malt Miller) had a deeper flavour profile and was the only one to have a hint of chocolate. The type1 and 2 were ok, but thinner flavour and more 'coffee'...neither unpleasant though....so I might go with 100grm chocolate plus 50 each of type 1 & 2. I'll also replace some crystal with chateau cafe(which is sweet). Only question then is the yeast...WLP002 or WLP028...I've got both in the fridge.

Resize of P1030688.jpg

a London Porter roughly along the lines of Graham Wheelers Fullers London Porter Recipe. I want the smooth chocolate/coffee taste you get from the commercial product.

Someone knowledgeable suggested that 028 might be better for the porter (vs 002 for the ESB that I'm also planning to brew) but I am tilting back towards 002 since it should most likely give the closest flavour character. I'm still tasting my roast malt tea's and now think I'll go with chocolate and carafaspecial type2 steeped separately at a lower temperature to try to emulate the smooth coffee/chocolate flavours.

Back