Simcoe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeymonster

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just came across this and I have to confess to being a little confused.

I'm planning on doing my first AG brew, probably next weekend. I've settled on a Simcoe SMaSH for my first attempt and I'm trying to get my head round the hops.

I've got a kilo of pale malt and 100g of Simcoe hop pellets, 2013 harvest 5% Alpha. Only 1 gallon brews for now. Everything I've read suggests that Simcoe should be between 12 and 14%. The default alpha is beersmith is within that bracket. I feel like I've missed something along the way somewhere.

Any advice?

Mike

Hi folks,

Just came across this and I have to confess to being a little confused.

I'm planning on doing my first AG brew, probably next weekend. I've settled on a Simcoe SMaSH for my first attempt and I'm trying to get my head round the hops.

I've got a kilo of pale malt and 100g of Simcoe hop pellets, 2013 harvest 5% Alpha. Only 1 gallon brews for now. Everything I've read suggests that Simcoe should be between 12 and 14%. The default alpha is beersmith is within that bracket. I feel like I've missed something along the way somewhere.

Any advice?

Mike

you're not alone I had tettnang at 2.2% and the book says 4-7%. My last tettnang were 3.2%. just have to adjust the hopping times to make an allowance I suppose.

Yeah, I figured there would be some variation but that seems a bit excessive!

I would phone the supplier (home brew supplies??) to double check since the 2014 crop pellets from the homebrew shop are 12.9%. Having said that, their 2013 amarillo pellets are also low at 7.3% so may just be that year's crop.

The % could be wrong - sounds wrong - I would check with supplier too.

I've emailed and asked the question so we'll see what they come back with, if anything.

Just placed a small order through geterbrewed and added 50g of Simcoe, if they don't get back to me I'll do side by side brews using hops from each packet as an experiment and I'll see how they compare!

Latest posts

Back