carapils and flaked barley

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirsultankhan

Landlord.
Reaction score
what is carapils, is it the same as caramalt? also what is flaked barley and where can I git it because the great worcester hop shop is selling neither and I need to put my order in cause im out of pale malt, gulp!

what is carapils, is it the same as caramalt? also what is flaked barley and where can I git it because the great worcester hop shop is selling neither and I need to put my order in cause im out of pale malt, gulp!

May i add to this what is the difference of flaked barley to torrefied barley?

Carapils is also called dextrin malt. It's a very low colour crystal which aids head formation, retention and mouthfeel.

Torrefied is where the grain is heated highly and quickly causing the grain to burst, flaked are steamed and then rolled which is the same process to get porridge oats.

Carapils is also called dextrin malt. It's a very low colour crystal which aids head formation, retention and mouthfeel.

Torrefied is where the grain is heated highly and quickly causing the grain to burst, flaked are steamed and then rolled which is the same process to get porridge oats.

Great one, I salute you! so porridge oats and flaked barley go through the same process but are different? man thats a bummer. Porridge oats are well cheap, but where to get flaked barley?

Thanks Yeastface so is there any benefit using torrefied over flaked ? or the other way round

I'm going to guess that:

Pale Malt (e.g. Maris Otter) is to Pilsner Malt, as:
Caramalt is to Carapils.
That is cooked to point that is does not need mashing, but probably would benefit anyway.

Flaked and Torrified Barley are different names for the same thing. Unmalted barley added in the belief that it improves head retention, which is very important to many home brewers.

I am going to suggest that if the great Worcester Hop Shop does not sell either, then there is a possibility that neither are actually needed to make you a pretty decent beer?

Please, anyone, feel free to add to this!

carapils is a very light crystal malt,
flaked barley is similar to flaked oats.... except it is barley not oats.....iirc moistened before rolling so they dont crush?

getebrewed should have both

I'm going to guess that:

Pale Malt (e.g. Maris Otter) is to Pilsner Malt, as:
Caramalt is to Carapils.
That is cooked to point that is does not need mashing, but probably would benefit anyway.

Flaked and Torrified Barley are different names for the same thing. Unmalted barley added in the belief that it improves head retention, which is very important to many home brewers.

I am going to suggest that if the great Worcester Hop Shop does not sell either, then there is a possibility that neither are actually needed to make you a pretty decent beer?

Please, anyone, feel free to add to this!

they must have it though cause its in the Guinness extra stout kit that they offer but not for sale on their website, sadly. Maybe i could persuade then to sell a Kilo and add it to the order
:D

recipe is 3.2 kg pale, 900g flaked barley and 450g's, roasted barley.

Just a thought maybe someone with the knowledge should come up with a thread on grains :thumb: would be really helpful

they must have it though cause its in the Guinness extra stout kit that they offer but not for sale on their website, sadly. Maybe i could persuade then to sell a Kilo and add it to the order
:D

recipe is 3.2 kg pale, 900g flaked barley and 450g's, roasted barley.

Hi MSK

I'm sure that I saw this recipe previously and thought it a bit wierd looking. Still don't really understand why such a lot of Adjunct rather than malted grain.

Very oddly, I saw something 5 minutes ago that I may not have seen 10 minutes ago. £1.39 per kilo.

http://www.worcesterhopshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=24

Right. Missed this!

Never heard of torrified barley, are you sure it exists? Flaked barley is rolled like oats. But comes from a different plant! You can buy flaked barley in health food shops and some supermarkets - it is an essential ingredient of Guinness. But does a similar job to oats in an oatmeal stout I guess- adds mouthfeel, creaminess and boosts the head. But is different. Think Guinness vs an oatmeal stout.

I've never used carapils, also known as dextrin malt - it adds unfermentable sugars, therefore body, and not much else. I get enough body without it for my liking. maybe I'm missing a trick.

Caramalt is brilliant. One of my favourite malts.

Have I covered it?!

Hi MSK

I'm sure that I saw this recipe previously and thought it a bit wierd looking. Still don't really understand why such a lot of Adjunct rather than malted grain.

Very oddly, I saw something 5 minutes ago that I may not have seen 10 minutes ago. �£1.39 per kilo.

http://www.worcesterhopshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=24

yes I emailed Nicky of said establishment and she said that it had not been updated to the webshop, but now it is, Yay!

Latest posts

Back