Yeast starters - oxygenating/oxidising??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The available sugar in the fresh beer wort added to a flocculated starter yeast cake helps declump these yeast strains.

:nah: Others have shown with data that yeast growth is significantly higher in stirred starters compared to shaken starters. I am not aware of any data supporting the opinion that stir plates damage yeast cells. :-D

Sorry, I wasn't making myself suffiiciently clear. I am aware that yeast growth is better with a stir plate. I'm just saying you don't absolutely need one.

I recall your 'discussion' with Saccaromyces about shear stress from stir bars on yeast cells which I why I wrote "some people argue" rather than stating it as an absolute fact ;)

Seriously, though, there are no credible scientific data to argue home brewers should not be using a stir plate. It works well. Use one, if you have one. Make one, if you don't. It's been tested on millions of brews. The consensus is that it works and it's a valuable tool for the home brewer. Refuting the consensus takes a lot more than an 'IMO', is what I'm saying. When I started using liquid yeast, I swirled 2-3 times a day. That works too. Just takes longer. Best thing I did was make a stir plate. I'm now on version 2. It includes a pump and an air filter. Might include some fairy lights too... If someone demonstrates to me that I shouldn't use it, I'll probably stick up their...

Sorry, I wasn't making myself suffiiciently clear. I am aware that yeast growth is better with a stir plate. I'm just saying you don't absolutely need one.

I recall your 'discussion' with Saccaromyces about shear stress from stir bars on yeast cells which I why I wrote "some people argue" rather than stating it as an absolute fact ;)

I might make you a stir plate, MyQul. You would use it. And you would learn to love it...

Seriously, though, there are no credible scientific data to argue home brewers should not be using a stir plate. It works well. Use one, if you have one. Make one, if you don't. It's been tested on millions of brews. The consensus is that it works and it's a valuable tool for the home brewer. Refuting the consensus takes a lot more than an 'IMO', is what I'm saying. When I started using liquid yeast, I swirled 2-3 times a day. That works too. Just takes longer. Best thing I did was make a stir plate. I'm now on version 2. It includes a pump and an air filter. Might include some fairy lights too... If someone demonstrates to me that I shouldn't use it, I'll probably stick up their...

Having looked at the youtube vids, I think even with my meagre DIY skills I could manage to build one but I'm worried that my cack-handedness would lead to me accidently burning the whole of Peckham down in a monsterous electrical fire. I would only use a proffesionally made one and those cost a lot of money so, that's the main reason I don't use one

Having looked at the youtube vids, I think even with my meagre DIY skills I could manage to build one but I'm worried that my cack-handedness would lead to me accidently burning the whole of Peckham down in a monsterous electrical fire. I would only use a proffesionally made one and those cost a lot of money so, that's the main reason I don't use one

12V plug and play. No wiring skills or soldering skills required. Probably safer than a professional one ;)

20151102_214700.jpg

It took 48 hours to get the magnets secured. 24 hours for the first one and 24 hours for the second. The second one was a right pain in harris. These are powerful magnets! Lights included :cool: Running smoothly :party:

20151104_155258.jpg

20151104_161241.jpg

Latest posts

Back