Is my water report missing information

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossyb

Reaction score
Hi

I am totally new to brewing having only attempted 3 all grain brews so far.

I want to learn more about getting the correct water and I have been trying to correlate the water report from my local provider with the various calculators I have found online.

All the calculators require values of either CaC03, H03 or C03

Problem is I cannot see any of these symbols listed in my water report

Am I missing something or is the report incomplete?

Is there any way to use the other information in the report to substitute those parameters?

I have attached the report as 3 pictures

I also assume I would use the average value to input into the various calculators

Any help much appreciated

Thanks Ross
View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1446574315632.jpg
View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1446574335019.jpg
View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1446574349517.jpg

I got the same format report as yours from my water provider. They stated that they are not required to test for carbonates, but they found someone on their staff who was a brewer, and he knew! Drop them a line asking if they have any results for carbonates, they might be able to dig something up for you.

Having said that, your report does give a figure for 'total hardness average of 37mg Ca/l'. That very well could be CaC03, as it is Calcium Carbonate that contributes to water hardness.

Hi Ross, cant answer your questions but confused as well. I presume the amount of chemicals in the water is represented in the average column? You have Glyphosate in there, lead and fluoride, arsenic to name a few things which are definitely not good for us even in minute doses. That's why i switched to RO water. Hopefully someone on here will be able to help you out. Welcome to the forum.

Not sure but I think a lot of things have to be tested for as determined by the Water Regulatory Board, or whatever it is called. You will notice their standard figures on the right hand side. Compare the actual test results with the required standard - you will see a lot of the nastier stuff is way way below the maximum allowed. This is drinking water after all. The way I look at it, I drink a lot more tea throughout the day than I do beer (hard to imagine I know, but true nonetheless!). The way I see it, if it is good enough for rosy lee it's good enough for beer, in terms of toxicity at least.

Rossy Hi, As water reports go you're not doing too bad. They don;t give alkalinity (as CaCO3) but they do give you total hardness which gives you a pontier on carbonates, and they give you calcium and magnesium , chloride and sulphate (thames water didn't give Ca or Mg). I'm in a v hard water area and our total hardness is over 300 (alkalinity as Ca CO3 was 230 when tested by Murphy & Sons), so I need to strip back the carbonates with AMS/CRS acid solution. Looking are your total hardness of 37, you won;t need to...may even need to increase slightly. You should be able to achieve decent mash conditions buy adding a mix of Calcium Chloride and Calcium sulphate. I'd still recommend you ask if they can give you and alkalinity as Ca CO3 figure to be sure.

Rossy Hi, As water reports go you're not doing too bad. They don;t give alkalinity (as CaCO3) but they do give you total hardness which gives you a pontier on carbonates, and they give you calcium and magnesium , chloride and sulphate (thames water didn't give Ca or Mg). I'm in a v hard water area and our total hardness is over 300 (alkalinity as Ca CO3 was 230 when tested by Murphy & Sons), so I need to strip back the carbonates with AMS/CRS acid solution. Looking are your total hardness of 37, you won;t need to...may even need to increase slightly. You should be able to achieve decent mash conditions buy adding a mix of Calcium Chloride and Calcium sulphate. I'd still recommend you ask if they can give you and alkalinity as Ca CO3 figure to be sure.
Great thanks for the advice I will contact them

if you don;t want to get too involved in the sulphate/chloride end of things, you can buy a mix of calcium sulphate and calcium chloride in the form of brupaks DLS. They have a good website that shows you dosage rates to get the calcium into the recommended ranges for different types of beer.

http://www.brupaks.com/water treatment.htm
Thanks for that I will use that site

Latest posts

Back