Gluten free & wheat free grains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First you have to understand gluten. With that, in the mountains of grains, there are only a few that have no gluten.
Do you have celiac disease? Or making beer for someone who does?
Recently they have made extract from sorghum.

everyone is different, however i have a pal who has developed an intolerance to wheat believed to be a consequence of dysentery when living in India a few decades ago. He weakened once round here and had a standard tesco jam doughnut with his tea, he blew up like a balloon and needed picking up, he did recover within a few hours. I only mention all this as he can sup white wheat beers till the cows come home.. ;)

Some gluten `free' beers are brewed using Clarityferm. You brew the beer using normal grains then when you add the yeast you add the clarityferm. It was developed to get rid of chill haze by breaking down proteins left in the beer. A side effect is that it also destroys gluten. You can have the beer tested when it's finished but i seem to remember a gluten test costs somewhere around £15-20.
I used it once when my daughter developed an intolerance to gluten but by the time it was ready to drink she'd stopped being intolerant to gluten and was intolerant to lactose.
A good thing about Clarityferm is that it doesn't affect the taste of the beer whereas brewing with gluten free stuff ends up with something you'd rather not drink anyway.

Saw on the news only yesterday that Australian researchers have developed a gluten
free barley strain that can be used to make gluten free beer. This could
potentially revolutionise the beer market for celiac's. As apparently the beer
produced using this barley tastes pretty much identical to the gluten varieties.
Could not find the link to the BBC article but here is one I found online.

Will Australia's Gluten-free Barley Set the Beer World on Fire?

http://www.celiac.com/articles/2434...-Barley-Set-the-Beer-World-on-Fire/Page1.html

First you have to understand gluten. With that, in the mountains of grains, there are only a few that have no gluten.
Do you have celiac disease? Or making beer for someone who does?
Recently they have made extract from sorghum.
Been having tests and my 8 weeks of wheat free and gluten free diet has now ended,feeling alot better than i did 18 months ago,awaiting my blood results for Celiac disease so not sure what the results will be,also been on lacto free milk,and last week i had a glass of ordinary cows milk, first for 8 weeks and within an hour i was covered all over my arms with a red lumpy rash.I have had a couple of pints in the pub which was Abbot Ale,which doesnt contain wheat,and had no issues,will just have to wait and see.I have also tried the Greens gluten and wheat free beer in bottles tastes very nice a little sweeter than my normal IPA but its expensive.

BrewersDroop, so it is for the possibility of celiac. But people really need to be clear intolerance of gluten is a fantasy. There are a ton of other, not so wonderful ingredients nowadays being used in almost all products. Many many are not natural. You get too many of these built up in your system of course you'll have reactions to other items. Gluten is a natural protein that humans have consumed for millennia.
Many describing stomach bloating, in my case, came from instant yeast and baking soda and powder. I love baking. After stopping the use of those items, I was fine. Now I bake bread the natural way. Brewers yeast or just natural yeast in the air. I've had zero issues.
I'm not saying that your reaction is fake, very much real. Don't don't jump on the bandwagon and label one thing causing it. I would look at all the other **** being put in our food first. Start cleaning that up in your body. I've now lived in Japan for 20 years and the diet is amazing. I remember when I first came over. I thought I was normal and healthy. But I remember when my system finally cleared of the junk I put in my body for all those years. World of difference. My core body temp went down to the Asian level. 66 degrees. American body temp is 37. Now when I go back to visit family, I have so many issues. Red marks. Stomach pains. I drink tons of milk here in Japan but when I drank it in the states, I had a horrible reaction.
Ok. There's my soap box speech. And again, Japanbrew manages to loose more friends. You guys got to see me drunk!!! The **** that comes out!!

I've used clarity ferm and my friend who has celiac disease said he enjoyed the 4 bottles I gave him without any ill effect.

I picked up some NBS Clarity from the Malt Miller with my last order. This is a much more concentrated version of clarity ferm and works out a lot cheaper (roughly 50p per brew).

For that price I will use it as standard both to reduce haze and allow me to serve it to my friend without worrying.

BrewersDroop, so it is for the possibility of celiac. But people really need to be clear intolerance of gluten is a fantasy. There are a ton of other, not so wonderful ingredients nowadays being used in almost all products. Many many are not natural. You get too many of these built up in your system of course you'll have reactions to other items. Gluten is a natural protein that humans have consumed for millennia.
Many describing stomach bloating, in my case, came from instant yeast and baking soda and powder. I love baking. After stopping the use of those items, I was fine. Now I bake bread the natural way. Brewers yeast or just natural yeast in the air. I've had zero issues.
I'm not saying that your reaction is fake, very much real. Don't don't jump on the bandwagon and label one thing causing it. I would look at all the other **** being put in our food first. Start cleaning that up in your body. I've now lived in Japan for 20 years and the diet is amazing. I remember when I first came over. I thought I was normal and healthy. But I remember when my system finally cleared of the junk I put in my body for all those years. World of difference. My core body temp went down to the Asian level. 66 degrees. American body temp is 37. Now when I go back to visit family, I have so many issues. Red marks. Stomach pains. I drink tons of milk here in Japan but when I drank it in the states, I had a horrible reaction.
Ok. There's my soap box speech. And again, Japanbrew manages to loose more friends. You guys got to see me drunk!!! The **** that comes out!!
Japan Brew my consultant would disagree totally with your comments being fantasy,I have had a horrendous time over many months and the change of removing gluten wheat and lactose for 2 months has seen a benefit.My diet has always consisted of fresh produce no ready meals etc,lots of fresh fish,and I don't eat red meat.We bake using gluten free flour and rice flour so doing exactly what I have been told to do.

Back to the original question there are no gluten free malted grains for sale in the UK. There a few companies in the US that sell malted millet, corn, rice &/or buckwheat with from what I have read millet being the one you want if you want something that tastes like barley based beer. Malted millet is commonly used in east & west Africa and India. Making beer with malted millet is also not as straight forward as barley due to the temperature it needs to be to release the starch for conversion denatures the enzymes needed to convert it. Also the grains are much smaller.
For extract sorghum syrup can be used I have never tried it but from what I have read its not much like beer. There are a few companies in Europe who make a gluten free (really gluten reduced to below 20ppm) barley malt syrup for extract brews but they only sell it in 200Kg+ quantities.
Clarity ferm can be used to make gluten reduced beer that should be below the 20ppm considered safe for all gluten issues but you can never really know without a lab test but theres alot of people that say they have no reaction to beer treated in this way and I have never read anyone say they do.

The Greens beers contain the following ingredients sorghum, millet, buckwheat, brown rice and yeast.Is there any recipes for this i wonder?
I notice Brewdog do a gluten free beer called vagabond brewed in Scotland

The Greens beers contain the following ingredients sorghum, millet, buckwheat, brown rice and yeast.Is there any recipes for this i wonder?
I notice Brewdog do a gluten free beer called vagabond brewed in Scotland

About half the greens beers contain de glutenised barley malt the others contain what you said, and you can tell the problems with a recipe from my previous post. The brew dog gluten free beer is just made from barley. It is easy to make a gluten reduced (that can be labelled gluten free under 20ppm) in any large brewery that has access to some sort of lab as beer is naturally low in gluten for a number of reasons including:
Barley suitable for beer is naturally low in proteins of which gluten is 1
Every stage of making beer lowers the protein levels and therefore the gluten
Fermentation reduces proteins (soy sauce is double fermented and likely aleways gluten free if anyone tested it)
Most commercial beers are made to not have chill haze which is caused by proteins
There are enzymes that can be added to the mash to further reduce gluten as well as ones like clarity ferm to reduce during fermentation.
The Finnish Coeliac society did a test on 80 something commercially produced non gluten free labelled beers to test the gluten levels and 5 came out as legaly being gluten free (under 20ppm) including shepherd neame bishops finger. Note only 1 batch of each beer was tested.

If would be possible to add enzymes artificially to any grains like this stuff http://www.murphyandson.co.uk/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=129 without it needing to be malted if you wanted to experiment.

Also worth noting gluten level testing is still a new science and no one really knows how accurate it is and the safe levels currently 20ppm in the EU are still a new thing no one is sure of and could vary alot from person to person.

I've now lived in Japan for 20 years and the diet is amazing. I remember when I first came over. I thought I was normal and healthy. But I remember when my system finally cleared of the junk I put in my body for all those years.

Interestingly (or not) I once wrote a report at Uni on Japanese attitudes to pollution and foods. There is a very strange and totally pervasive attitude that 'it's not my fault, not my problem'. Things like mercury in seafood, the water off Japan has some of the highest levels of mercury and the Japanese like their Dolphin/whale meat, which is top of the food chain and therefore concentrated with Mercury. Yet when reported it is neither the consumer or industry's fault, but the whales and dolphins for being high in mercury. Same was true of fertilizer on crops, and even deforestation, a complete disconnect between a religious reverence of domestic trees, and massive deforestation overseas to supply furniture and building supplies because wood was considered a status symbol as a result of it's reverence!

I'm not saying your Japanese diet isn't healthier than a contemporary western diet (face it, that's not hard in a lot of cases), just that I'd not take Japanese assertions that the food is inherently healthier, in my experience it was just denial of the fact it was unhealthy!

Had my blood results this week,and confirm the Celiac test show that i have very high enzyme readings??? whatever that means.Now waiting to hear from consultant,looks like my enjoyment of beer brewing and drinking could be over.More tests to come.

Well i know rice is on the list of can eat foods along with buckwheat?? but beer brewing a minefield, and a disaster when i have spent an awful lot of money on my 100ltr stainless system.

Back