Buying hop plants

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great, I'll check their website out, what's the best time of year to buy them and plant them? I was considering growing them in my greenhouse, maybe trail them along the inside of the roof?

There seems to be quite a difference in price on websites from around £8 up to about £15 so wasn't sure if there would be any difference in quality. Is it best to buy rhizomes or plants or does it not make any difference?

It'll be **way** too hot in your greenhouse for them, they need to be outside.

Willingham nurseries are good, got my hop plants from them last winter. Buy them in the winter as rhizomes ready for planting out in spring. Then wait until this time next year and you'll have a load of lovely hops like I do, nearly ready to harvest :-)

Does the part of the country you live in make a difference as I live in Newcastle so there can be a 10 degree difference between the south? That's the only reason I was considering the greenhouse but if you think they will be OK outside then I will put them in my allotment? Also leaves room in the greenhouse for grapes

That's great, I'll check their website out, what's the best time of year to buy them and plant them? I was considering growing them in my greenhouse, maybe trail them along the inside of the roof?
Don't waste your greenhouse space with them as they would fill it! Wires or trellis to grow them up would be your best bet

Like yourself I plan on growing hops for next year. I found a Facebook group with 100+ members, search for "Co-Hop"

I like a Czech style lager so I plan on growing Saaz. I found them at Aplus-Hops

https://www.aplus-hops.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SZ2LHP

I'm like you at a similar latitude in Belfast although I live inner city and our temperatures are not as harsh as the country. I'm wondering would my conditions be suitable for growing a hop that is more custom to warmer temps?

Like yourself I plan on growing hops for next year. I found a Facebook group with 100+ members, search for "Co-Hop"

I like a Czech style lager so I plan on growing Saaz. I found them at Aplus-Hops

https://www.aplus-hops.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SZ2LHP

I'm like you at a similar latitude in Belfast although I live inner city and our temperatures are not as harsh as the country. I'm wondering would my conditions be suitable for growing a hop that is more custom to warmer temps?

Hops like it wet n warm. If you've got a tallish south facing wall or fence why not give it a go? What have you got to lose? If the wall has a drainpipe, even better! They can easily grow 20 feet when 4 or 5 years old... keep us posted

Newcastle is probably a bit north to grow hops commercially (it's East Kent Goldings, not Northumberland Goldings for a reason), but as long as you protect it from frost as far as possible in the early stages then there's no reason it won't grow enough for home brewing, commercially farmed hop plants are huge anyway!

Won't grow in a greenhouse, they're big plants, temperature won't be the problem (I think), they're related to tomatoes, and hence Marijuana, which really likes growing in greenhouses (or in hydroponic tents in your airing cupboard).

They train very well on string which sounds much easier.

Yeah I was thinking of just 2 upside down U wooden frames at either side to support the string inbetween, I don't want to let them grow completely vertical so was going to grow them to about 7 foot vertical then train them horizontally along the string. Is it best to just get rid of the string after harvest and start with new string the following year?

I'm in the same boat as yourself and this will be my first year growing. From what I understand you don't touch them in the first year (apart from pick hops) but in the 2nd and subsequent years you can cut them back to around a foot above the ground. When they start growing again you select 2 or 3 strong vines to train so all the growth goes into these and cut back the others.

Can anyone who has grown hops confirm this?

I used these on ebay for my first hop plant: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/meadow-plant?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Planted towards the end of 2014, pretty much nothing more than 3 ft in 2015 and this is where I am this summer:

8c13abbb6b2d20d697a507d2e8e8acbb.jpg

I believe first year is mostly root growth, second year i trained the strongest three shoots on string up a 8ft fence and then side ways. I'm in Eastbourne on the south coast with lots of sun, soil isn't very good though.

Back