Elderberry flavoured grape wow

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
Not sure should be called elderberry wine as I only had 250g of elderberries which I eventually found yesterday. Boiled and simmered elderberries with half a camden, squashed berries while stirring, picked out as many maggot like things as possible, but as numbers of them were increasing decided that I'd strain and just use juice. 1 kg Sugar 1 litre of Purple Grape Juice (165g sugar content) 250g Elderberries (boiled and strained juice into DJ) 1 tea bag tea 1 tsp pectolase, Nutrient and citric acid. Yeast gv4, needed to use up.

Edit: Added 850ml of Asda Apple & blackberry juice drink, an additional 80g of sugar.

Hmm maggots 😯

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My daily protein intake :drink:

Think they were fruit fly larvae, you'd miss them if I hadn't boiled the berries. That's why I don't like using dried berries as the maggots are still in fruits when dried. Enjoy your Red grape/blackcurrant/elderberry WOW :lol:

Pleased with current progress, at 0.998 considering around 1.3kg of sugar in there not bad progress.

I did one of these with actual elderberries - based on roddy's recipe. It has come out fairly strong overtones of the lowicz and a sort of cough medicine taste.
Colour is a vibrant red and clear as a bell.
I reckon it will probably be lovely in a year or so so one for the darkest reaches of the shed.

It does have fresh elderberries, at 0.992 so by next monday should be done.

Just racked, no camden, fermentation had finished early last month. At first grape comes through, then powerful elderberry so will take some time to mature, but blackberry a second or two later apple comes through finishing back with dryness of the tannin. The flavours where very distinct and not blended, this should become a very interesting (hopefully not the chinese curse interesting) wine in 6 months.

Added finings - riches kwik clear

Racked again, nice and clear topped up with 2 rebush tea bag tea to prevent oxidation and an additional finish to the wine. Looking like a light red rather than dark. Will leave a little while until bottling, running out of bottles, must drink more.

Since racking and adding redbush on Monday, I bottled it. Well I'm am shocked that the wine has blended the elderberry taste as well, the anti-oxi' properties of the redbush are really doing an excellent job, wish I had added at start. Almost ready to drink, well compared to not being ready on monday, will leave for a number of months.

Opened a bottle on Friday, really improved and was rather a good wine. Opened another bottle tonight and surprise malo/lactic had occurred and a fizzy wine was drunk. Changed the wine considerably after malo/lactic - actually preffered the first, but the co2 highlighted different flavours variety is the spice of life :)

Back