Clear Beer Draught System

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steved53

Reaction score
I know how a lot of you like shiny stuff for your brewing, and this comes under that category, even though it does spend most of its life hidden.

Those with Cornelius kegs will know how annoying it is to wait until your beer drops clear, and any movement of the keg, whilst not taking you back to square one will produce an unwanted cloudiness to your beer.

I came across this product recently, and so far I am pretty impressed.

You change your dip tube for a supplied gas in tube (well, one of the same length at least), and attach the supplied silicone tubing to this fitting, with the floater attached at the other end. Now the beer draws from the top, and everything else works the same.

This is a beer I transferred from the fermenter only a few days ago, albeit it had sat in the fermenter a long time, and was already quite clear. Didn't use any finings. Don't even think I used any Whirlfloc. If I did, I didn't note it.

I even moved this up to the garage yesterday, as my small co2 bottle in the cellar ran out. Still as clear as a bell.

The only downside is you have to pay the dreaded postage and import fees from the states. Made in America - probably means more if you're American, but the quality is evident even though it is a simple concept.
Cheers!

IMG_2660.jpg

Presumably this would make it more feasible to prime in a Corny too as you won't be sucking up the yeast sediment created by secondary fermentation into your first few pints?

Link? Hopefully one of the online Home Brew shops here will either stock them eventually or get their own copies made up (or the Chinese will get there!).

in the UK you can use the red caskwidge floats or wait a litle while for the NZ fermentasorus product to hit UK shores and buy a float from that system ;)

i have 3 kegs fitted with caskwidge floats, the trick to using them is to ensure the natural curl in the feed tube reaches across the kegs full diameter and to drop the float in after filling the keg..

while they let you pour a clear pint a week or so earlier it has no effect on how long the keg takes to reach peak maturity for the best flavour.

Presumably this would make it more feasible to prime in a Corny too as you won't be sucking up the yeast sediment created by secondary fermentation into your first few pints?

Link? Hopefully one of the online Home Brew shops here will either stock them eventually or get their own copies made up (or the Chinese will get there!).

I think it would make it much more feasible to prime and also to dry hop using this equipment, especially if using the optional gauze filter.

The link is: http://clearbeerdraughtsystem.com

in the UK you can use the red caskwidge floats or wait a litle while for the NZ fermentasorus product to hit UK shores and buy a float from that system ;)

i have 3 kegs fitted with caskwidge floats, the trick to using them is to ensure the natural curl in the feed tube reaches across the kegs full diameter and to drop the float in after filling the keg..

while they let you pour a clear pint a week or so earlier it has no effect on how long the keg takes to reach peak maturity for the best flavour.

Yes, the instructions make a point of taking note of the natural curl of the tubing, and install it accordingly.

I'm finding (without this equipment bytheway), that if I get everything right in the brewing and fermentation process that the beer is great to drink very soon. I have only really needed to allow it to 'mature' when there is some slight off flavour that needs to dissipate.

Is the red float on their accessories page all you need for a 19 litre cornie? Ie you don't need the full kit?

Is the red float on their accessories page all you need for a 19 litre cornie? Ie you don't need the full kit?
yes, that and a short gas dip tube and oring to replace the long product out dip tube,

while some may suggest simply swapping gas and beer posts and feeding co2 down the long dip tube, without a check valve on the gas line your reg is at risk under conditions of a temp rise and excess condition pushing beer back up the gas line, and you can even freeze the beer at the dip tube bottom causing failure to pour..

also fit the tube with its natural curl along the widest aspect of the keg, hope you inderstand, and pull the float out (still attached) to fill and drop it in, the limited diameter of the corny means the float does rub on the keg wall and the friction is enough to keep the float from rising on a keg but insufficient to hamper gravity pulling it down with the beer level.

You get those for king kegs https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/#beer-f...o-premium-top-tap-pressure-barrels-p-478.html it can't be that hard to attach to a corny.
the soft silicone tube provided with a red caskwidge float will result in rubbing/friction of the float on the keg wall, not enough to be an issue if the float is dropped into a full keg, but the stiffer pvc tube used on the cheaper pressure barrel floats would imho be a much bigger hassle in a corny,

the caskwidge floats while more expensive will work and do incorporate a ss filter for any floating hop debris..

An alternative ive seen advertised since that might be wort a punt is the ss ball float with silicone tube sold for use with the pet conical 'fermentasaurus' tho i have not used that myself.. caskwidge floats do work .

But unless regularly brewing beers you need to sup 'green' they shouldnt be needed as gravity will clear a beer before its generally ready to quaff..

btw i dont have shares in caskwidge
and while i may like their product, i do think they could offer way cheaper pnp options ffs ididnt need to pay for a next day service which was a staggering £15 iirc!!

so big thumbs down on that front..

yes, that and a short gas dip tube and oring to replace the long product out dip tube,

while some may suggest simply swapping gas and beer posts and feeding co2 down the long dip tube, without a check valve on the gas line your reg is at risk under conditions of a temp rise and excess condition pushing beer back up the gas line, and you can even freeze the beer at the dip tube bottom causing failure to pour..

also fit the tube with its natural curl along the widest aspect of the keg, hope you inderstand, and pull the float out (still attached) to fill and drop it in, the limited diameter of the corny means the float does rub on the keg wall and the friction is enough to keep the float from rising on a keg but insufficient to hamper gravity pulling it down with the beer level.

Thanks for that, I'd really like to get a couple of these. Is the soft tube a good fit to push straight onto the repurposed gas line or did you have to do something to make it tight enough to not let CO2 leak into the beer-out tube?

I also have a couple of mini-kegs (same diameter, shorter height). I guess the same red float will work with those or I could just slice off some of the soft pipe if turns out to be too long?

£15 for UK delivery? That's extortionate. Did you ask if they'll do a cheaper service - like, buy it a seat on Ryanair or something? :laugh8: If not then I'll phone and ask. You often get a better response by phone than email.

yes a simple friction fit on a short dip tube is all you need, (and directing the curl across the widest aspect of the keg you can.)

in a minikeg with its central dip tube the feed tube would exert too much pressure against the keg side imho, tho you could try some thinner walled tube, 110mm x 1mm wall with an 8mm id should again be a good fit i use similar tube for plumbing 10mm copper to 3/8" beerline for a FV chiller IC where it holds pressure and seal. ..

the Clear Beer Draft System is excellent quality if a bit higher cost. I did a personal import from the US. I use the system with a spunding valve to naturally carbonate in a corny keg towards the end of fermentation which cuts out the need and time taken to prime and enables me either to serve clear beer either directly from the fermenter or to do an oxygen-free transfer of clean, carbonated beer into a clean keg or, using a counter-pressure bottler, bottles or mini-kegs.

its at least 5 years since i made a caskwidge purchase and paid iirc the high pnp. they may have alternative options that I either missed or have been offered since..
so at least confirm the pnp is sky high, and perhaps email/phone asking a normal royal mail postage perhaps? dealing with comercial servers normally they may be used to extra bits NEEDING to be delivered next day to enable comercial service.

My last purchase (June 2017) of CaskWidge float heads (they are only a component of the entire CaskWidge system for Pubs) I only paid £4.95+VAT delivery, and £6.75+VAT each for the heads.

Note I bought the heads-only because thier length of tubing is cut for standard cask sizes not "Corny" kegs (which vary in size depending on manufacturer). I got red heads, but colour doesn't matter when buying heads only 'cos colour only depicts the tube length (and I found the red tubes too short). 10mm OD x 5mm ID silicone tubing (translucent, but any colour will do) cut so the float's intake (gauze end) can reach the bottom of the Corny when empty. I replaced the long beer out dip tube with short gas-in dip tubes (purchased cheap from China via eBay) and fitted the hose carefully to the end of these (the tubes will go on without lubrication or hose clips) - bit fiddly but you only need do it once (per keg).

I have had the tubing detach from the dip-tube but only when forcing sanitiser into the disconnect (not taking beer out!). Once the tubing has "stuck" to the keg side so only gas comes out, but quickly corrected by a very brief gentle rocking (banging the sides?) of the keg.

WARNING: Don't be tempted to use the very flexible silicone hose for beer-line outside of the keg. I did, and was quickly reminded that silicone hose is very permeable to air (and oxygen). Yeuch.

My last purchase (June 2017) of CaskWidge float heads (they are only a component of the entire CaskWidge system for Pubs) I only paid £4.95+VAT delivery, and £6.75+VAT each for the heads.

Note I bought the heads-only because thier length of tubing is cut for standard cask sizes not "Corny" kegs (which vary in size depending on manufacturer). I got red heads, but colour doesn't matter when buying heads only 'cos colour only depicts the tube length (and I found the red tubes too short). 10mm OD x 5mm ID silicone tubing (translucent, but any colour will do) cut so the float's intake (gauze end) can reach the bottom of the Corny when empty. I replaced the long beer out dip tube with short gas-in dip tubes (purchased cheap from China via eBay) and fitted the hose carefully to the end of these (the tubes will go on without lubrication or hose clips) - bit fiddly but you only need do it once (per keg).

I have had the tubing detach from the dip-tube but only when forcing sanitiser into the disconnect (not taking beer out!). Once the tubing has "stuck" to the keg side so only gas comes out, but quickly corrected by a very brief gentle rocking (banging the sides?) of the keg.

WARNING: Don't be tempted to use the very flexible silicone hose for beer-line outside of the keg. I did, and was quickly reminded that silicone hose is very permeable to air (and oxygen). Yeuch.

This sounds like a promising way forward. I've got some gas-in tubes on the way from China and was about to buy three of the fermentasoarus ball float systems but your system is definitely better value. Do you have a link to where I can buy the 10x5 silicone tubing that you use? There are lots on ebay but they don't tell you whether it's the very soft type or not.

This sounds like a promising way forward. I've got some gas-in tubes on the way from China and was about to buy three of the fermentasoarus ball float systems but your system is definitely better value. Do you have a link to where I can buy the 10x5 silicone tubing that you use? There are lots on ebay but they don't tell you whether it's the very soft type or not.
This is the bunch I got it from last time: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-Si...rentrq:5564ef2b1640a9e4e9adad3afff491ea|iid:1

I've never thought of silicone hose being supplied in different softness - anyway this "milk hose" ought to be the same stuff (it is a year since I bought the stuff). I've confirmed it is the 5mm ID stuff you want, and it has a 10mm OD.

I dare not give the length I used because of the varying sizes of Corny keg, but it doesn't take long to get the right length figured out. It's soft stuff so don't be ham-fisted pushing it onto the dip-tube or the dip-tube will cut it. I found the Chinese dip-tubes to be shorter, but it can always be swapped with the original gas-in dip-tube. The bit of extra length is handy when fitting the tube because it needs manipulating "blind" with your hand through the Corny keg lid (handy if you are the piano playing type and not the average hole digging navvy).

Latest posts

Back