Have I bought a brewing thermometer or a broken thermometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medlington

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a thermometer this weekend from my LHBS.

When I put it into my brew to see the temp it read 1 degree! I've got a heat belt around the fermenter and its in my flat which is quite cool but definitely not 1 degree.

When I take the thermometer out of my FV it reads the air temp as about -15?

The only way this makes sense to me is if the thermometer is set to read 0 at ideall brewing temp but as different brews need different temps this seems unlikly, the only other explanation is I've bought a dodgy thermometer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for getting back to me,

I meant to take a photo this lunch time but didnt have time, I'll get one tonight and post it tomorrow.

The thermometer is very thin and long and has a split scale with farenheight on one side and celcius on the other, there aren't any markings or indications that it isnt a normal thermometer. Dont know if that helps or not, will post the photo tomorrow

is there some spirit stuck at the top of the thermometer, if so place it in boiling water and it should regroup :thumb: , either that or it leaked

Heres a couple of photos of it though a little blurry:

thermometer.jpg

As you can see its a barmy -1 in my flat today whereas in actuallity its really quite warm, must be over 20.

There is a little bit of fluid trapped at the top, it just doesnt look like enough to correct it.

Think Ill take it back this weekend but never kept my receipt as usual, hopefully theyl just swap it for me. Was only 3 quid mind so not the end of the world.

Latest posts

Back