Clibit's Ballsed-up Order Recipe Competition!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liking the sound of the dark mild, I don't know enough about recipes to be able to suggest anything.

I would have just combined it with some safe hops and probably my standard yeast I have on the shelf, and ended up with something completely random

I'd try a Dubbel I reckon. That's a complex grist which after a few months I think would have massive complexity.
Plus 10% sugar.
Hops could be Saaz or Goldings or similar.
You could maybe use the Saison yeast at 22? Failing that I'll send you a split from my wlp500.

Although I'm a newbie here, I thought I'd "pitch" in with this one, as it were.....
It certainly looks like an odd assortment of malts you've got, and I have no experience of brewing anything lager-ish, but I did have a thought based on an unusual recipe I've been working on. My aim is to brew a dark, very malty flavoured but nevertheless well-hopped beer - sort of a mild or Scottish 80/-, but with much more hop flavour and aroma. For my taste (which is perpetually very hoppy!), it's coming along well. The present incarnation, scaled to 10l, is:
1400g mild ale malt
160g crystal (EBC 150)
160g Caragold
160g Pale Chocolate
40g Wheat malt

4g Warrior (60 min boil)
10g Challenger (5 min)
10g Fuggles (5 min)
10g EKG (flameout)
8g Mandarina Bavaria (flameout)
Dry hop (in secondary fermenter) 13g EKG

Yeast: Brewlab East Midland 1. I don't have a chiller, so mine would clearly turn out more bitter than the recipe might suggest - I leave the wort plus hops to cool overnight.

So.... Perhaps you might try something like this with your malt mixture, especially if you added extra chocolate malt. The amount of wheat might be interesting - I'm guessing it might not clear too well, so perhaps the darker the better!
I haven't used any of your yeasts, but the EM1 is a very clean, low-flavour performer so anything like that should work out similar

I'm going to use 2kg of the grain mix tomorrow. Do a partial mash with a mate, add it to his Coopers wheat beer kit, split in half and steep Mosaic and El Dorado in one half, and Sterling, Bobek and Summer hops in the other. Ferment one with Belle Saison yeast, other with T58.

Which leaves 6kg. Love all the suggestions so far. I'm fancying the dark mild, I rarely make milds, using Wyeast 1469, the random hop thing (to use some hops and enjoy the randomness) using Wyeast 1728 maybe, and something Belgian / biere de garde. I never make Belgian/French beers and it's time I did. Use Belle Saison probably.

My own idea when I looked at the grain mix was to do a red ale with big American hops. It's a style I love. Add a little roast barley, and Centennial and Amarillo possibly. The grain mix seems well suited. Maybe I'll use the random hop idea to make a red ale. 1728 seems a good yeast option.

So 10L partial wheat, 10 dark mild, 10 Belgian/Biere de Garde, 10 hoppy red ale.

Still open to new ideas though.

Ok brewday today, used 2kg of the grain mix in a partial mash with a Cooper's wheat beer kit at my mate's house. Forgot the Irish moss but otherwise went ok, made 22 litres split into two lots of 11 litres. Steeped different hops in each, random handfuls, not weighed, and sprinkled T58 yeast in one and re-hydrated Belle Saison in t'other.

Each Batch Size (L): 11.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.045
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.42 %
Colour (SRM): 7.4 (EBC): 14.6
Bitterness (IBU): 22 ish (Average)
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

0.850 kg Cooper's Wheat Beer Kit (46.05%)
0.375 kg Lager Malt (20.31%)
0.250 kg Wheat Malt (13.54%)
0.125 kg Mild Ale Malt (6.77%)
0.125 kg Vienna (6.77%)
0.032 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (1.73%)
0.032 kg Crystal 145 EBC Medium (1.73%)
0.032 kg Crystal 240 EBC Dark (1.73%)
0.025 kg Biscuit (1.35%)

Hop Bill 1:
Mosaic handful
El Dorado two handfuls

Hop Bill 2:
Bobek Handful
Sterling Handful
Summer Handful

Mashed at 67°C for 40 Minutes.
Ferment
1. With Safbrew T-58 (Mosaic, El D batch)
2. With Belle Saison (Bobek, Sterling, Summer batch)

Spoke with Deborah at geterbrewed today, very happy with the feedback, and she reports a surge in business from members, plus return business. On the downside, she did comment on how p****d I got her husband at the beer festival last night....:twisted:

:D

She was absolutely charming, seems like a lovely lady. I'd be happy to make some suggestions if she would like that, about the custom grain system and how it could maybe be improved and made to work in other ways perhaps. They are close to having a great ordering system, I think. And they have a great range of malts and yeasts.

Oh, and the replacement grain all arrived today. I've done rather well out of this and feel a bit guilty!

Thanks for all the entries. I've got 6kg left of this grain and will make three small batches with it. One will be my own choice, a red India ale.

The other two ideas I've gone for purely because I want to make them, they suit my taste and what I haven't got in stock. I did a saison and a Belgian ale with the grain last week so I'm going more English. One will be a dark mild, which rodabod suggested, but probably using Bramling X hops cos I have some and want to use them. The other brew will simply be the grain as it is and a random mix of hops chucked in through the boil, I like the idea, it's an opportunity to make such a random brew, and I have loads of hops to use up so I will be using lots late in the boil. Random grain, random hops, see what I get. A hoppy, malty IPA I expect. This was AdrianTrace's suggestion.

So congrats to Rodabod and Adrian, and a big thanks to everyone for the great ideas. :thumb:

It'll be next week before I brew again, I'm away Friday til Sunday and busy tomorrow. Could I handle a triple brew day? Three small batches?

Thanks for all the entries. I've got 6kg left of this grain and will make three small batches with it. One will be my own choice, a red India ale.

The other two ideas I've gone for purely because I want to make them, they suit my taste and what I haven't got in stock. I did a saison and a Belgian ale with the grain last week so I'm going more English. One will be a dark mild, which rodabod suggested, but probably using Bramling X hops cos I have some and want to use them. The other brew will simply be the grain as it is and a random mix of hops chucked in through the boil, I like the idea, it's an opportunity to make such a random brew, and I have loads of hops to use up so I will be using lots late in the boil. Random grain, random hops, see what I get. A hoppy, malty IPA I expect. This was AdrianTrace's suggestion.

So congrats to Rodabod and Adrian, and a big thanks to everyone for the great ideas. :thumb:

It'll be next week before I brew again, I'm away Friday til Sunday and busy tomorrow. Could I handle a triple brew day? Three small batches?

Hell yes :thumb::lol:

Randomised beer: It could be madness, it could be a winner...Either way it'll be beer :thumb:

I'll contact rodabod and AdrianTrace in due course as I'll send them a bottle of the brew wot I make from their suggestions.

I'm currently boiling my second random grain mix brew. I did a saison (kit plus mini-mash) with the grain mix last week, today I'm doing the red ale I fancied. The dark mild (rodabod) and the random hopped IPA (AdrianTruce) will follow on very soon. Today's recipe (I've just added 25g roast barley to the grain mix to help the redness/darken it a little):

Random Red (American India Red Ale)

Batch Size (L): 9.0
Total Grain (kg): 2.014
Total Hops (g): 70.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.052
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 15.9 (EBC): 31.3
Bitterness (IBU): 62.8 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75

0.750 kg Lager Malt (37.24%)
0.500 kg Wheat Malt (24.83%)
0.250 kg Mild Ale Malt (12.41%)
0.250 kg Vienna (12.41%)
0.063 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (3.13%)
0.063 kg Crystal 145 EBC Medium (3.13%)
0.063 kg Crystal 240 EBC Dark (3.13%)
0.050 kg Biscuit (2.48%)
0.025 kg Roasted Barley (1.24%)

10.0 g Chinook Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
15.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.9% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
15.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
15.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.9% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes 80C steep
15.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes 80C steep

5.0 g Gypsum (Mash)
3.0 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mashed at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Ferment with - not decided yet. Probably Wyeast 1728 smack pack, maybe WLP006 or Munton's standard yeast slurry.

I've gone for 60 IBUs, I like this malty red style to be bitter, and Centennial and Amarillo is a great hop combination in this style.

Not much fermentation action yet.

I was disappointed with my efficiency yesterday - I only got about 66%. The grain came ready crushed, and I didn't really like the look of the crush, but couldn't be bothered to re-crush it. I mashed 2kg grain for an hour in 6 litres and then drained it and added all the 7.5 litres of sparge water in one go, stirred it in well and let it sit for about 10 mins before stirring again and lifting and draining the bag. This is my normal procedure but I normally crush the malt myself and I regularly get 80% brew house efficiency. I'll have to re-crush the rest of the grain.

I guess it may help others struggling to get decent efficiency that the crush you get from those who sell us grain can lead to poor mash efficiency when doing BIAB. Cos that's the only possible explanation I can think of, the only thing that was different - except it was the first time I've used grain from Geterbrewed.

Latest posts

Back