Trying to find spruce essence in the UK

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fubblechunk

Reaction score
Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help?

I'm trying to find spruce essence in the UK and finding it a little bit hard to locate any that's suitable for beer making.

I can find plenty for aromatherapy and even specialty essence for saunas but not for home-brew!

Please can someone help?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help?

I'm trying to find spruce essence in the UK and finding it a little bit hard to locate any that's suitable for beer making.

I can find plenty for aromatherapy and even specialty essence for saunas but not for home-brew!

Please can someone help?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Hi Dave what are you going to brew if you dont mind me asking

No unfortunately not, I found some in the US but as you say it's too expensive.

I want to make a gluten free beer as one of my friends always misses out on drink day. I saw this and was just intrigued by it! http://www.glutenfreehomebrewing.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=126

I've decided to try and go for a beer rather than a lager so any help with GF beers that work would be much appreciated.

Also how do you stop the fermentation of beer? I'm using Potassium Sorbate for my cider but apparently that won't work for beer. I'm not a big fan of fizzy beer so my plan would be to ferment the beer out, add a sugar solution to bring it back to the correct sweetness then after 12-24 hours kill the fermentation somehow.

Unless I'm completely off the mark with that one?

Having looked at the recipe why dont you just use spruce tips? Locate an appropriate tree and harvest some.

Afaik it actually quite hard to stop beer fermenting. I'm not clear what your trying to achieve. Beer brewing isn't really like wine making where you 'back sweeten' (although I think it's possible) Are you trying to produce a sweeter beer - as there are ways to do that.?
If you don't like fizzy beer just ad less priming sugar

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a spruce ale / bock type thing for Christmas. I put a 6in sprig of a spruce tree in for the last 10 minutes of the boil, and left it in there during the cooldown. Worked a treat :thumb:

Thanks Clibit,

I was thinking more of trying to find essence so it would give the same taste all year round but might just give it a go in spring to try it.

I believe they use chemicals to extract the gluten from beer in the commercially available beers (not sure if it’s Clarityferm). The only problem with that is as you said it removes most of the gluten but not all of it so if you are really sensitive it’s best not to drink them.

Back