Beerworks Sheepdog Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok,just me!
Looks decent though, comes with 50g of pilgrim hops and priming sugar for twenty quid.
Will let you know the outcome if anyone interested.
Cheers

Never heard of these kits, are they new? Looks like they're only available from 1 place so I guess they are made up by the shop rather than being generally available?

Looking at the online description they look pretty decent, and a good price too. My LHBS does a similar thing, makes his own Extract kits up with a couple of tins of liquid malt and some vacuum packed hops, they're at least a tenner more - these seem very cheap, given how expensive tinned malt extarct can be. They produce really good beer.

Let us know how it turns out, I'm tempted to buy a couple as they're cheaper than standard 2-can kits that don't even come with hops.

I've done the Kent bitter and I was impressed but was my first brew, got the Merseyside ipa in the bottle at the min which tastes great but I think needed longer dry hopping but might be just me.

Instructions recommend steeping hops in hot/boiling water then adding hops to fv but discarding liquid?????
Any ideas why, this seems a waste to me, maybe to take out oils?
I'm greedy for hop aroma/taste.
Any replies would be great.

Instructions recommend steeping hops in hot/boiling water then adding hops to fv but discarding liquid?????
Any ideas why, this seems a waste to me, maybe to take out oils?
I'm greedy for hop aroma/taste.
Any replies would be great.

Think they've got it the wrong way around. Your making a hop tea by boiling/steeping hops in water. So you put the liquid in the FV and chuck the spent hops

I've done 2 of their kits an found there isn't much liquid left in the jug anyway, the hops soak it most of it up

I've done 2 of their kits an found there isn't much liquid left in the jug anyway, the hops soak it most of it up

Whenever I make hop tea I squeeze the liquid out of the hops. Using a french coffee press is a popular way to make hop tea too. I use a sieve though as I don't think Mrs MQ would be too impressed if she found hop debris in her morning coffee

Thanks guys
In the end I stuffed half of the hops in a syphon bag with two teaspoons and chucked them in and the other half I steeped in boiled water for 5-10 mins then threw the liquid in, a happy medium ????

I have just done the Kentish one from beerworks, they are made up for lovebrewing. As i read it, you break the hops up then add the water to re hydrate. Then after 10-15 minutes just put the whole lot in your fv. There was no water left after this. I did this and all seems fine, they give you a small muslin bag to put over your syphon to stop any hops blocking it.
Transferred by to keg on wednesday with the supplied sugar.
Took a small sample this morning and it seems to be carbonating and clearing well.

I have made 3 beerworks kits sheepdog.kentish bitter and mersey dockers all kits came out good

I've done quite of few of their kits now, always good, the spire ipa is rather nice, but the presidents apa is my current fave, good amount of citra pellets included for dry hopping. All kits have come with mesh bags for syphoning and include dextrose packets for fermenting (if required) and priming.

Back