All Grain Lager... Lager Malt substitute?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birkin

Reaction score
Just a quick one, I was planning to brew my first proper lager this weekend, fridge is sorted, temp controller will be done by then and I'm ready to go..

But, just realised the recipe that I have is for a US 5 gallon batch, not the UK 5 gallon that I thought.. I've brewed this before and fermented it with beer yeast, just tasted it and it is a very tasty pint!

Anyway, the base ingredients are:

3.75kg lager malt
0.45kg Vienna
0.23kg Carapils

45g Hallertauer Hersbrucker

I have enough of everything except lager malt to add 20% to make a full size batch.

Just wondering, is adding half a kilo of Maris Otter to up the OG enough for a full strength brew a bad idea?

I should really stop being lazy and go to the home brew shop. I need more Maris otter anyway to account for a previous miscalculation leaving not quite enough for another hobgoblin.

To that point, the Hobgoblin that I have in the fermenter is about ready for bottling, going to give it a few days and recheck the gravity to be sure its ready, but I tasted the sample and it tastes like a real hobgoblin.

All grain is awesome.

Latest posts

Back