Using brettanomyces, when to bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jell

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post so go easy on me.

I have been brewing small batch beer (about 8L batches) for about 6 months, I've had good success with about 15 different basic brews, so I thought it was time to try something more complicated.

I am attempting an Orval clone using this recipe. http://byo.com/cider/item/3027-orval-trappist-ale-clone

The recipe calls for brettanomyces lambicus, my first time using this and I have a question about how to tell when it's ready. I racked to secondary at SG of 1.010, and pitched the Brett (WLP653) it has now been sitting in secondary for nearly 2 months, and it has in that time been continually but very slowly bubbling in the airlock, like once every hour or 2 and has been fairly constant like this for the entire 2 months. From reading about Brett in secondary I wasn't expecting any airlock activity, so I'm not sure how to know when it's ready for bottling. I don't want to bottle too soon as I'm scared of the bottles exploding.

Any tips from anyone that has experience with Brett?

Many thanks in advance

Joe

You probably want to take another reading and decide if you think it is done or not. Bubbling may just be temperature changes or the beer degassing. It may not be still fermenting

Latest posts

Back