Big brew OG:IBU

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreweBrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm planning on a strong, tweaked version of Clibit's London Pride (it's great with Target mate!) and I'm just after a second opinion on the IBU because I know this has to be increased if the OG is also upped.

I normally have the original recipe at 1.046 and 25 IBU.

Based on my logic, which is why I'm after a second opinion, the OG is planned to be around 1.070 and the IBU around 38.

Would you agree?

Thanks,

Dave

I'm doing a Fuller ESB tomorrow planned to come out at 6% abv and I've planned 33 IBU, so 38 IBU for 7% sounds about right...at that strength it's be half way to their Golden Pride. I'm using WLP002 (for the first time)...what yeast are you using???

I think I know what you're getting at matey. I'm pretty happy with the balance as it is though. To be honest I'm just using up the last of this sack of grain so it's a bit of a pancake day brew. Be fun to see how it turns out.

Well I brewed the big'un today. My efficiencies tend to suffer with larger amounts of grain, so it only came out at 1.060. I'm not sure whether it's down to the size of my mash tun or that I didn't stir the mash enough. Anyway, I pitched my starter so we'll see how she goes.

Dave

I did mine yesterday and missed the gravities to coming out at 1.060. Did a starter and WLP002 started bubbling at 6 hours, and was really fermenting well by this morning. I was worried about the temperature so have it in a cool room with a fan on...did get up to almost 21 but now at 20.1 see attached thread.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58487
Also has chiller problems leaking water into my cooling word (see ditched brupaks chiller) but otherwise under control. Hope yours takes off ok.:cheers:

I did mine yesterday and missed the gravities to coming out at 1.060. Did a starter and WLP002 started bubbling at 6 hours, and was really fermenting well by this morning. I was worried about the temperature so have it in a cool room with a fan on...did get up to almost 21 but now at 20.1 see attached thread.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58487
Also has chiller problems leaking water into my cooling word (see ditched brupaks chiller) but otherwise under control. Hope yours takes off ok.:cheers:

There are some small signs of life here now. I've got the FV in the living room with the log burner. Once she's going I'll probably move her to the dining room where it keeps a steady 17deg. May just leave her in the living room as I like the fruity esters.

I've seen your thread about the duff chiller. Seems weird they didn't cotton on before selling them!

Mine has finished (finished yesterday) and gravity is at 1.016 which is a couple of points lower than I was expecting, but fine. Fermentation went smoothly...managed to keep the temp around/below 20 most of the time. Have a glass in the fridge cold crashing so will have a taste this evening.

After just over four days' the SG has dropped to 1.016 possibly 1.015. It has slowed a fair bit but still going. Mine has been around 16-18c for all this time. I'm in no rush for the FV so I'll leave this one a while. The smell is tremendous!!!

Dave

just tasted mine (couldn't wait) and its good. Will leave another week for yeast to settle properly and condition a bit. Am pleased that wlp002 has fermented out so well...was worried at first when I saw how floccy it was. Was considering wLP028 Edinburgh for my forthcoming Porter (after golden ale which is next) but I think I'll stick with 002 for it. That's the thing i like about AG brewing...stuff tastes good right out the primary...ok its too young, but is nice.

just tasted mine (couldn't wait) and its good. Will leave another week for yeast to settle properly and condition a bit. Am pleased that wlp002 has fermented out so well...was worried at first when I saw how floccy it was. Was considering wLP028 Edinburgh for my forthcoming Porter (after golden ale which is next) but I think I'll stick with 002 for it. That's the thing i like about AG brewing...stuff tastes good right out the primary...ok its too young, but is nice.

Discovered the other day that the fullers strain is bottom fermenting after watching this youtube vid

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZAydMnBiGA[/ame]

Back