Big brew OG:IBU

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is that ale yeasts are top fermenting and lager yeasts are bottom fermenting. Which is different from top cropping and bottom cropping. Fullers yeast is highly flocculent hence it's harvested from the bottom of the fermenter.

My understanding is that ale yeasts are top fermenting and lager yeasts are bottom fermenting. Which is different from top cropping and bottom cropping. Fullers yeast is highly flocculent hence it's harvested from the bottom of the fermenter.

Your understanding is my understanding, but it seems the fullers yeast is a bottom fermenting yeast similar to a lager yeast even though it's an ale yeast. From what I've also read it's no good for top cropping

Your understanding is my understanding, but it seems the fullers yeast is a bottom fermenting yeast similar to a lager yeast even though it's an ale yeast. From what I've also read it's no good for top cropping

First I've heard of it, is that American fella right? Loads of ale yeasts are harvested from the bottom. He may be confused, possibly. My understanding ios that Fuller's yeast is technically a top fermenting yeast but that it is flocculent in the extreme. Could be wrong.

WLP005 Seems to be the same, bottom fermenting. I found this right at the bottom of the page in the FAQs on the White labs site

"It ferments from the bottom, unusual for ale yeast but becoming more common as many UK ale brewers have switched to conical fermentors."

http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp005-british-ale-yeast

Conical fermentors, which were the cause at Fullers too, according to the article.

Just checked and it's down to 1.014 with minimal sign of burn-your-nostrils CO2 present. I this this one is nearly done, but I shall leave it for a few more days.

Dave

Latest posts

Back